• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

existing fire rated door - new lite kit

ArchMuse

Simple question. I have an existing 45min. fire rated door. Can the door be modified to have a lite kit installed? Glazing wouldn't exceed 100 Sq. Inches. The reason I ask is because a door supplier has told me fire rated doors can't be modified unless done so by a UL certified installer. Sounds like he's just trying to sell my client a door they don't need. Any thoughts?

Your supplier is mostly right.

Field modifications of rated doors must be approved by the laboratory whose label is affixed to the door. (2009 IBC, 715; NFPA-1, 12.4.6.5.2)

Your AHJ may approve a performance based option, if they have a written program allowing such. (2009 IBC 715;NFPA-1, 12.4.6.7)

Double check the UL listing, many times a door manufacturer will include various options that could include the door lite. Then if the lite is an option, have the manufacturer install the lite so listing is maintained. If the lite is not an option, you will need a new door.

What edition of code?

In 2012 716.5.7.1.1 appears to be an addition. I read it as requiring the lite to be part of the original listed door, installed by the listing agency.

fatboy said:
What edition of code?In 2012 716.5.7.1.1 appears to be an addition. I read it as requiring the lite to be part of the original listed door, installed by the listing agency.
I was trying to post that FB but failed miserably and gave up, I knew there was a change from my antiquated code...

716.5.7 Labeled protective assemblies.

Fire door assemblies shall be labeled by an approved agency. The labels shall comply with NFPA 80, and shall be permanently affixed to the door or frame.

716.5.7.1 Fire door labeling requirements.

Fire doors shall be labeled showing the name of the manufacturer or other identification readily traceable back to the manufacturer, the name or trademark of the third-party inspection agency, the fire protection rating and, where required for fire doors in interior exit stairways and ramps and exit passageways by Section 716.5.5, the maximum transmitted temperature end point. Smoke and draft control doors complying with UL 1784 shall be labeled as such and shall also comply with Section 716.5.7.3. Labels shall be approved and permanently affixed. The label shall be applied at the factory or location where fabrication and assembly are performed.

716.5.7.1.1 Light kits, louvers and components.

Listed light kits and louvers and their required preparations shall be considered as part of the labeled door where such installations are done under the listing program of the third-party agency. Where tested for such use, fire doors and door assemblies shall be permitted to consist of components, including glazing, vision light kits and hardware that are labeled, listed or classified by different third-party agencies.

716.5.7.2 Oversized doors.

Oversized fire doors shall bear an oversized fire door label by an approved agency or shall be provided with a certificate of inspection furnished by an approved testing agency. When a certificate of inspection is furnished by an approved testing agency, the certificate shall state that the door conforms to the requirements of design, materials and construction, but has not been subjected to the fire test.

716.5.7.3 Smoke and draft control door labeling requirements.

Smoke and draft control doors complying with UL 1784 shall be labeled in accordance with Section 716.5.6.1 and shall show the letter "S" on the fire-rating label of the door. This marking shall indicate that the door and frame assembly are in compliance when listed or labeled gasketing is also installed.

716.5.7.4 Fire door frame labeling requirements.

Fire door frames shall be labeled showing the names of the manufacturer and the third-party inspection agency.

The limits on field modifications to rated doors have been tightened recently. Would it be permitted if the original code & listing allowed field installation of lights?

Paul Sweet said:
The limits on field modifications to rated doors have been tightened recently. Would it be permitted if the original code & listing allowed field installation of lights?
I wouldn't buy it.

My understanding is that it is and has never been permissible to cut a lite into a listed door in the field. If the door was purchased recently and you know who supplied it you could take it off and bring it to them for the lite to be cut in. This modification would need to be done at the door fabricators shop and the door would need to be relabeled after the lite was put in.

"Section 716.5.5, the maximum transmitted temperature end point. Smoke and draft control doors complying with UL 1784 shall be labeled as such and shall also comply with Section 716.5.7.3. Labels shall be approved and permanently affixed. The label shall be applied at the factory or location where fabrication and assembly are performed"

JimWalsh said:
My understanding is that it is and has never been permissible to cut a lite into a listed door in the field. If the door was purchased recently and you know who supplied it you could take it off and bring it to them for the lite to be cut in. This modification would need to be done at the door fabricators shop and the door would need to be relabeled after the lite was put in. "Section 716.5.5, the maximum transmitted temperature end point. Smoke and draft control doors complying with UL 1784 shall be labeled as such and shall also comply with Section 716.5.7.3. Labels shall be approved and permanently affixed. The label shall be applied at the factory or location where fabrication and assembly are performed"

welcome back Jim