• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Existing I-2 no smoke detectors in rooms

hlfireinspector

Silver Member
I have and existing I-2 that has no smoke detection in the patient sleeping compartments. The building is VB and is fully sprinklered. I have an existing approved fire alarm system that provides corridor coverage and covers the entire building but not the sleeping compartments. The doors on the rooms remain open and do not have self-closing hardware. I looked at 907.3 but 907.3.1 Exception applies. I do not feel safe with this situation as it is. Retroactive single station only applies to R?

Now I see that the exception is for corridor protection if the rooms have smokes.

I did find some req. in 101 that had to do with furnishings that are brought in. ( Existing Health care)

[F] 407.6 Automatic fire detection. Corridors in nursing

homes (both intermediate care and skilled nursing facilities),

detoxification facilities and spaces permitted to be open to the

corridors by Section 407.2 shall be equipped with an automatic

fire detection system. Hospitals shall be equipped with smoke

detection as required in Section 407.2.

Exceptions:

1. Corridor smoke detection is not required where

patient sleeping units are provided with smoke detectors

that comply with UL 268. Such detectors shall

provide a visual display on the corridor side of each patient sleeping unit and an audible and visual alarm

at the nursing station attending each unit.

2. Corridor smoke detection is not required where

patient sleeping unit doors are equipped with automatic

door-closing devices with integral smoke

detectors on the unit sides installed in accordance

with their listing, provided that the integral detectors

perform the required alerting function.

Last edited by a moderator:
peach said:
was there a question in there?
I kept seeing the reference to smoke detectors in patient sleeping rooms in 407.6 and wondred if I was missing something.

This was brought to thought because of the debate off another tread about rooms that were open to the corridor must have smoke detection or be seperated with smoke walls and if furshings could be located in a corridor.

You probably need to look at the existing building code. Especially since under 2006, I-2 is not permitted to be VB (Table 503) (even back to 2000, it was not permitted). Kinda need to play the cards you are dealt.