• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Existing Physician's Office

Alias

I had a call last Friday about a local existing medical office. It seems that this is the third (fourth?) owner/agent requesting information on rehabbing an existing doctor's office to meet ADA. Designer sent me a 47 page checklist for the office. Designer's office is in Ft. Collins, CO.

It will remain a 'B' occupancy, it is a small office (1500 +/- total sq ft {think 3 bed, 1 bath ranch house}).

From what I can gather, renovations will include ADA requirements.

Designer's questions consisted of how much work can be performed before it triggers a full-blown retrofit to bring the existing building up to current code (i.e. - seismic).

I found the 20% trigger for ADA, my question is for the remainder of the remodel. Is it 50%, and, if so, section please.

Thanks,

Sue, too many codes, not enough time

(cross-posted to Existing Buildings forum)

2010 CALIFORNIA BUILDING CODE

1105B.3.2 Business and professional offices. Areas to be made accessible include the following:

4. Professional medical and dental offices shall be made accessible,,,,

2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design

§36.406 Standards for new construction and alterations.

(g) Medical care facilities. Medical care facilities that are subject to this part shall comply with the provisions of the 2010 Standards applicable to medical care facilities, including, but not limited to, sections 223 and 805.

Mark -

The main reason for the remodel are the ADA issues. What the designer wants to know is when they do the ADA remodel will it trigger the need for the entire building to be brought up to 2010 CA codes, i.e. seismic, energy, electrical, etc.

Sue

In CA

2010 CALIFORNIA BUILDING CODE

1134B.2 General.

3. Alterations, structural repairs or additions consisting of one or more of the following shall be limited to the actual work of the project:

3.1. Altering one building entrance to meet accessibility requirements.

3.2. Altering one existing toilet facility to meet accessibility requirements.

3.3. Altering existing elevators to meet accessibility requirements.

3.4. Altering existing steps to meet accessibility requirements.

3.5. Altering existing handrails to meet accessibility requirements.

3.6. Alteration solely for the purpose of barrier removal undertaken pursuant to the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (Public Law 101-336, 28 C.F.R., Section 36.304) or the accessibility requirements of this code as those requirements or regulations now exist or are hereafter amended, including the following:

3.6.1. Installing ramps.

3.6.2. Making curb cuts in sidewalks and entrance.

3.6.3. Repositioning shelves.

3.6.4. Rearrranging tables, chairs, vending machines, display racks, and other furniture.

3.6.5. Repositioning telephones.

3.6.6. Adding raised markings on elevator control buttons.

3.6.7. Installing flashing alarm lights.

3.6.8. Widening doors.

3.6.9. Installing offset hinges to widen doorways.

3.6.10. Eliminating a turnstile or providing an alternative accessible path.

3.6.11. Installing accessible door hardware.

3.6.12. Installing grab bars in toilet stalls.

3.6.13. Rearranging toilet partitions to increase maneuvering space.

3.6.14. Insulating lavatory pipes under sinks to prevent burns.

3.6.15. Installing a raised toilet seat.

3.6.16. Installing a full-length bathroom mirror.

3.6.17. Repositioning the paper towel dispenser in a bathroom.

3.6.18. Creating designated accessible parking spaces.

3.6.19. Installing an accessible paper cup dispenser at an existing inaccessible water fountain.

3.6.20. Removing high-pile, low-density carpeting.

3.6.21. Installing vehicle hand controls.

3.7. Altering existing parking lots by resurfacing and/or restriping.