• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Existing residential ?

dbrown

This question is for anyone knowing rules, regulations and codes in the Bowie, Maryland area. My in-laws are leaving there home of 40 plus years to come south. The home they live in needs work (plumbing and cosmetic work). My brother in-law says homes in the Bowie area have to be inspected and brought up to code before they can be sold. My question is can a home be sold "as is" in this area? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Existing residential ?

Check with your local Building Inspection Office. I think it unlikely that existing homes would fully have to comply with current codes, but possibly have some requirements for smoke detectors, CO detectors, maybe egress. Check with the office, don't believe the BOI.....on his say-so anyway.

What ever they are told get it in writing with a signature.

If it isn't on paper it did not happen.

dbrown - Welcome to the Board.

Not familiar with Maryland regs, BUT... here in NYS the only Statewide mandate for retroactive upgrades is in regard to smoke detectors and CO detector. The number of each must meet current requirements, with the allowance for battery operated in lieu of hardwired for retrofits.

I would be interested to see if any State or Local law went farther (except maybe California, they're wierd anyway... :lol: ).

Please do let us know what you come up with.

There are cities here in Ca. that require an inspection from the Planning and Building dept. with every sale. One city I worked in charged $1000.00 for the grief. Weird doesn't begin to describe it.

My current jurisdiction does conduct a physical inspection prior to sales.

When we get a municipal search request we inspect the property only, not the insides of the building(s). Just to make sure they didn't add a shed or pool without a permit.

We don't really point out property maintenance issues as a rule unless there is an egregious one (or an open violation that we have already cited). If the buyer can't tell that the siding needs to be painted or the shingles are curling, cracking, etc that's their problem.

We also require a 'smoke affadavit' to verify compliance with the PMC & Fire Code for smoke detectors and CO dector requirements.