• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit Access Stairways Connecting More Than 2 Stories- Is it ever possible

gtyler75

I will be referencing the 2015 Michigan Building Code, and am most interested in the implications for R-2 buildings.

Here is the code conflict I'm trying to understand:
1006.3 Egress From Stories or Occupied Roofs states "The path of egress travel to an exit shall not pass through more than one adjacent story." As far as I'm aware, there are no exceptions to this statement.

Meanwhile, Section 1019 Exit Access Stairways and Ramps includes the following exception I am hoping to apply: 1019.3 Exception 4 "Exit access stairways and ramps in buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system... this provision is limited to openings that do not connect more than four stories."

There seems to be a conflict here. Under any circumstance, it seems that 1006.3 would prevent an exit access stairway from connecting more than two stories, so how could the exception in 1019.3 ever be possible? Is traveling down an exit access stair not considered passing through adjacent stories?

Appreciate the clarification.

My guess is that the stairway could connect up to four stories, but you could only use it as an exit access from one of those stories. It could be used for circulation only between the other stories.

My guess is that the stairway could connect up to four stories, but you could only use it as an exit access from one of those stories. It could be used for circulation only between the other stories.
Hmm, that would seem very impractical - if the topmost story can egress safely why would the floors below have any issue?

Does anyone have a real-world example where this exception has been applied? I just don't understand where it would be useful to connect stories with a stair but not allow more than one to use it as an exit access.

You could use exit access stair to get off of 4th story but would have to enter an interior exit stairway on the 3rd story. Travel distance includes down the stair until reaching an exit on 3rd story.

my interpretation is that if the stairway goes goes directly to the level of egress then it is not passing through a story. an example of passing through another story is that you have a stair from third floor to second floor and then you have to go down a hallway to a stair from second to ground floor. that is "passing through" another story.

I'll refer you to the 2018 IBC code and commentary which debunks your interpretation. The reason its limited to just one adjacent story is because travel is faster horizontally than vertically, thus the reason for requiring exit access to travel just one story before reaching an interior exit stairway, exit discharge, or exit passageway. Also the reason the travel distance is measured down the nose of the stair treads.