1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Exit discharge from Interior Exit Stairway using Exception 1 (1028.1 exc 1) and Travel Distance

Discussion in 'Commercial Building Codes' started by Cristy Bickel, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Cristy Bickel

Cristy Bickel Registered User

Under IBC 2015: I have a rated interior exit stairway in a 3 story building that does not exit directly to the exterior of the building. Per Exit Discharge 1028.1 exception 1, if I have a sprinklered building and a free and unobstructed path to the exit, I can do this.
    My question however is related to the maximum travel distance. No where in this section of the code does it say I have to add the length of travel from the interior exit stairway to the exit. Are maximum travel distances considered "per floor" meaning, I can travel 250' to the rated interior exit stairway and then once I exit this enclosure and head for the exit, I have 250' to make it outside? Or Is the travel distance aggregate? Do I add the travel distance to the rated enclosure and then from the rated enclosure to the exterior?

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

Welcome back

3. cda

cda Sawhorse

Are you complying with 1.2??

If so, my take is once you are in the rated enclosure,,, travel distance ends

So In away it would apply on the ground floor

But In away the ground floor should already meet travel distance

So at any point on the first floor, including where you walk out of the stair, travel distance is not exceeded

That is my layman explanation

Wait and see what others say

4. Cristy Bickel

We are complying with all the sub requirements in Exception 1.

5. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

We wouldn't "restart" the TD measurement for that exception where you get to leave the enclosure.....But that is an interesting twist....How far is it to the exterior once you leave the stair?

6. cda

cda Sawhorse

The ground floor should already comply with travel distance, no matter where you stand.

7. Cristy Bickel

After exiting the rated interior exit stairway, the exit door is another 94.

8. north star

north star Sawhorse

# ~ # ~ #

Christy Bickel,

Your answer lies in Section 1028.1, Exception # 1, Sub-section 1.3:

" The egress path from the
    interior exit stairway and ramp on the level of exit
    discharge is protected throughout by an approved automatic sprinkler system.
    Portions of the
    level of exit discharge with access to the egress path shall be
    either equipped throughout with an
    automatic sprinkler system installed in
    accordance with
    Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2, or separated from the egress
    path in accordance with the requirements for the enclosure of
    interior exit
    stairways or ramps".

Meaning, that when an occupant exits the interior stairway enclosure and
    headed for an Exit, they will be protected by the automatic sprinkler system,
    or either an approved & appropriate fire rated enclosure must be provided.

No distance is mentioned, because [ IMO ] the distance will vary for different
    structures and applications........The key is for the occupants to be protected
    by either of the two methods stated in Sub-section 1.3 to get them to an Exit.

& * & * &

9. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

So....it is 94' in an unobstructed "straight shot" to the exit? And the exit is readily visible from the stair termination?