• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit discharge

TimNY

Platinum Member
Scenario:

Group A Type I building 10' from the lot line. Group A discharges to grade. On the lot line is a retaining wall that starts at grade and extends 6' above the level of discharge. Abutting property is residential.

I'm looking at 2003 IBC 1023.3 and 1023.4. The problem I am having is the exit discharge is not a balcony or stairway. I think I would be stretching it by calling it a ramp.

For the sake of discussion lets say the discharge is perfectly level from the exit door to the street. The only problem is 40 linear feet of this discharge is sandwiched between the Group A building and a 6' retaining wall that is on the lot line between the Group A and the residential property.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Tim

Re: Exit discharge

TimNY wrote:

For the sake of discussion lets say the discharge is perfectly level from the exit door to the street. The only problem is 40 linear feet of this discharge is sandwiched between the Group A building and a 6' retaining wall that is on the lot line between the Group A and the residential property.
So whats the issue? You don't like sandwichs

The adjoining property or building is not an issue. The issue is that a person exiting through an exit court must be at least 10 feet away from the building they are exiting from or the exterior wall of the court is required to be protected.

At worst an exit court. Most likely a yard. Sounds like it's only bounded on two sides. Either way, I see no apparent violations just from the description Tim gave.

Thanks.

So if it's 10' or wider, all is well. But if it was a ramp it would have to be 10' away.

Seems strange to me, but it is what it is.

Tim

If it was 10 ft or wider a person could get at least 10 feet from the building. That's the premise with requiring ramps to be 10 ft away. Keep your butt (and the rest of your anatomy) at least 10 feet from that flaming thing if you want to have a chance at making it out safely (or reasonably safely).

For what it's worth, if that sloping grade out to the public way is not within the 1:12 ratio with landings, etc. then you need to create an exterior area of rescue assistance for those who "can't make the grade."

Say g'nite Gracie!

I'm outa here!

Have a happy weekend everyone.

For what it's worth, if that sloping grade out to the public way is not within the 1:12 ratio with landings, etc. then you need to create an exterior area of rescue assistance for those who "can't make the grade."
If the grade is steeper than 1:20, it's a ramp.

g'nite George! err.... Gene!