• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit enclosed or open to below?

I am currently designing a sports bar with a roof top deck and new stairway leading through the restaurant below. This project is located far outside my jurisdiction and the AHJ has not responded to this same question. My client would like the stair to be open and visible to the main floor so that people get the idea that there is an inviting space upstairs. The upper level seating area would be 700 S.F. and limited to 48 occupants. I know that the basic answer is that a second story requires two exits with at least one exit being enclosed. My effort is apply every other limitation possible to have only one stair exit. http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/25/925948/OpenStairQuestion.pdf.

Questions:

1) Can the stair be open to the interior of the restaurant below? If not, then may it be a simple smoke proof enclosure with only a door at the top of the stair? Or does the stair need to be fire rated stair enclosure?

2) Can the stair landing also serve as the entry vestible for the restaurant below? Or does the exit from the roof top area need to be separated completely from the restaurant? In other words, do patrons need to exit the building and then enter again through a separate exit? I am thinking a common landing/vestibule is okay.

Local codes: 2006 IBC and 2000 NFPA

Thanks

---------------------------------

AIA, NCARB, ICC, NCOA, CSI

ICC Plans Examiner

Re: Exit enclosed or open to below?

Look at the exceptions in 1020.1 and see if you can get one to apply. There should be an opportunity to have an open stair. Is the roof accessible to the disabled?

As Coug Dad indicated, I think Exception 9 of Section 1020.1 is applicable. This would not require either stair to be enclosed, provided the building is sprinklered (which it should likely be per Section 903.2.1.2).

Unenclosed stair exit

Coug Dad,

I see exception #9 is already highlighted in my book. (I see now that RLGA has noted that as well as I type my response).

My options are to add a second exit or enclose the stair case.

Thanks

BaypointArchitect:

Even if one stair is enclosed you still have to provide 2 exits. See Section 1019.1 and Table 1019.1. Section 1019.1 states, "All rooms and spaces within each story shall be provided with and have access to the minimum number of approved independent exits required by Table 1019.1..." Per Table 1019.1, occupant loads between 1 and 500 require 2 exits.

Since occupied roofs shall provide exits as required for stories, then 2 exits are required.

You could consider the roof as a mezzanine and only provide one exit since the occupant load is less than 50. The stair would need to be enclosed in that case though since the mezzanine is not fully open to the floor below. I am still wondering about accessibility to the space though.

Coug Dad:

I don't think the roof would qualify as a mezzanine--see definition of "mezzanine" in Section 502.1.

I agree, though, accessibility is an issue.

Accessibility

My thinking is that seating is provided on the main level. There is nothing on the roof top that isn't available to the patrons down below. If the wheel-chair bound patron wants to smoke and drink outdoors (there is a smoking ban here) then he/she can do so either in two other locations provided on the ground level (front and back).

Likewise, not every seat in a movie theatre needs to be handi-cap accessible. Every location in the movie theatre is a "good" location for watching the movie. Yes, there does need to be a minimum number of spaces for handi-cap users.

So, are you thinking that I need to provide an elevator that provides access the roof and basement? I would agree if I had a Karaoke bar upstairs and nowhere else. I would agree if I had pool tables down stairs and nowhere else.

---------------------------------

AIA, NCARB, ICC, NCOA, CSI

ICC Plans Examiner

Mezzanine

I had been thinking maybe I could call this similar to a "mezzanine" but decided that I could not quite make it work for me.

The exception in 505.3 refers to Table 1015.1 and allows for a single means of egress for a maximum occupant load of 49. And that is why I have only 48 seats in an area that is only 700 Sq.Ft.

The intent of code related to openess between the mezzanine and area below is that upper level occupants can become aware of problems below by sight, sound, and smell. There is no hope for me to consider this as an "enclosed" mezzanine.

But then I started to explore the idea of "equivalency" through the application of pull-station alarms and smoke detectors.

As you can see, I'm still floundering like a fish out of water.

I'm not sure that the mezzanine approach will work.

Using Table 1015.1 is a common mistake. That table is only for spaces...not floors or stories. If the area was one "space" among other spaces, then, yes, one exit from that "space" is all that is required. But the floor/story still requires 2 exits per 1019.1.

A couple thoughts

The any seat is a good seat in the theater lost in the Federal courts a number of years back--

When the theaters were converting to stadium seating they originially put the HC seats up front using that argument, we and many many other jurisdictions approved that under the building codes. They then lost thier Federal ADA case stopped after doing about half of the theaters in the 18 plex. Resubmitted plans. Tore out what was finished and reconfigured for dispersed HC spaces.

How is security going to be provided to keep people that get off the roof during off hours into the restaraunt while not having locks on the doors in the direction of egress travel?

To add to Frank's post, what if the bar rents out the rooftop area for private parties or receptions?

Roof top security

I had thought about security. There would need to be a dead bolt on the door and a sign with 1 inch high letters that reads, "This door to remain unlocked with roof top is occupied. Maximum occupant load is 48".

IBC 1003.3.1.8 Exception 2.2

Private parties and receptions would need to be limited to the main floor only.

With the movie theatres having to remove stadium seating, would an elevator up to projection level suffice? That would place a wheel chair at the top or middle of stadium seating. I simply can not imagine a NEW theatre with a flat floor. I would like to see a new Super Bowl type football stadium built flat on the ground. ...not likely.

Exit enclosed or open to below?

I am leaning towards a second exit across the roof and down the back alley. It seems kinda' silly to enclose the second stair by the back alley so that I can leave the front stair open and unenclosed but that would allow me to take advantage of IBC 1020.1 Exception #8, open for one stairway if enclosed for the second stairway.

Thanks everyone.

Look at Exception 9. Besides, if the stairway is exterior, then it doesn't have to be enclosed, anyway. See Section 1023.