• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit illumination

cda

Sawhorse 123
So I know LED lighting is not somewhat new, but I have not seen it used that much.

Plus, history of use in place.

So anyone hear of LED lighting fading, and possibly bringing the light level down, over a period of time,below what code requires?

""L70 refers to the point in time when an LED is producing 70 percent of its initial light output. For example, if an LED light fixture produces 10,000 lumens when it is new at some point it will fade to 7,000 lumens. This point in time is referred to as L70. Since all LED light source fade the difference in the time it takes for an LED light to reach L70 is crucial for a buyer to understand in order to make an intelligent long-term decision.""

https://www.flexlightingsolutions.com/blog/

if the LED is not on does the fading still occur? If not over the life of the emergency light I ont see how fading would be a problem.

if the LED is not on does the fading still occur? If not over the life of the emergency light I ont see how fading would be a problem.

I think it is everyday lighting, just happens to be required to illuminate the exit path.
Not emergency lighting

I think the lighting program I used to use had a reduction factor to account for fluorescent bulbs aging over time.