• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit Passageway and Common path of travel

witko

Hi,

I know travel distance does not matter in an exit passageway but what about C.P.O.T.? I'm working under the North Carolina flavor of the 2006 IBC and have an assembly space with an occupant load less than 49 on the interior of a building. 1015 would allow this space to have only one exit if it can meet the Common path of egress travel. "As is" the travel distance is approximately 90'. The architect is proposing to create an exit passageway so that you would cross the room in approximately 50' and then the passageway would be 40' to the exit discharge.

The whole set-up is creepy when you're actually on-site but because the definition of common path of egress travel says "exit access" i am inclined to think he can do it.

Other info:

Existing building 3-b construction, no sprinklers, and no "good" way to make a second exit from the space.

So am i worried about a bunch of nothing?

I appreciate any opinions, clarifications, etc. on this issue.

witko

A properly constructed exit passageway is an exit component. CPET is that portion of exit access before two paths to exits are available. Once in the exit (exit passageway) CPET is not in play. As long as CPET is not exceeded prior to entry into the EP, it should be ok.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dealt with a similar circumstance a year back with a fellow in an existing bldg. Once you're in that protected passageway your good to go as I see it. In our circumstance there was no other way to get around it either.

Byron

The architect is proposing to create an exit passageway so that you would cross the room in approximately 50'
Agree with the others but this statement has me concerned. You measure path of travel at right angles not diagonal. Could you post a sketch or drawing so we get a better understanding of the layout?

mtlogcabin brings up a good point. Depending on the location of the door into the exit passageway, the path of travel from the most remote location in the space to that door must follow a "natural and unobstructed path." Typically, spaces will have furniture and other equipment that will prevent a direct path to a door; therefore, paths are shown orthagonally rather than diagonally, and this may add to the CPET/travel distance.

Agree with others too and when we get places like large supercenters or big boxes we require a minimum of 2 routes depicted to the protected assembly since they never meet the TD minimums even as sprinkled buildings :)

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Ill figure out how to post pics later but you don't really need one for this since its an approximately 20 X 30 rectangle with one exit in the back corner of the room. I was measuring along the walls for travel distance anyways because there will be fixed seats in the center portion. So, 50' of travel distance then you will enter the exit passageway which is approximately 40' long to the exit discharge.

I'm still not really happy that the space has one exit but if the CPOT is not an issue I think its code compliant.

Thanks again,

witko