• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit passageway doors

Marni

I have a warehouse conversion from 1 tenant into multiple tenants. We are constructing an exit passageway to meet travel distance. We are planning on having two overhead doors on fusible links on each side of the passageway to allow a forklift route through the area the passageway is dividing. I have a tenant that has higher security and wants a door with a higher life cycle of opening and closing many times a day. Could this be installed inside the passageway?

1024.1 Exit passageways. Exit passageways serving as an
exit component in a means of egress system shall comply
with the requirements of this section. An exit passageway
shall not be used for any purpose other than as a means of
egress and a circulation path.

I'd say since it's to meet travel distance, it's probably an exit passageway.

I think Rick is right. There's a kind of sanctity to exits, unlike the exit access.

If it (the door)can meet MOE requirements I don't see why not...

An exit passageway shall not be used for any purpose other than or a circulation path.

Last edited:
I don't think openings for normal egress would include roll up doors due to the door swing requirements of 1010.1.2. It kind of sounds like the desire is to be able to move goods from one side of the exit passageway to the other side. Based on what you have provided I would say no.