• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit shafts/Part 9

Inspector Gadget

Question for you folks that play in both part 3 and part 9:

When dealing with exits, do you require exit shafts on part 9 buildings, or do you allow fire separations only?

Reason I ask is that in a presentation yesterday, a ... person of some influence ... highlighted that the Part 3 exits must be separated from the *building*

1697739017898.png
but part 9 states:

1697738893754.png

The interp presented was that "floor area" would not require the same standards - ie: not a shaft, can have joists inset into the walls of an exit stair, for example.

I disagree, because 9.9.9.4 has language that clearly points to the concept of a shaft:

1697739137559.png

He (and their office) have the correct interpretation based on the language used. However, you correctly point out that this creates a conflict between (1) and (4). The intent is that shafts are treated the same in both Part 3 and 9. I have a code change request in for it.