• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

exit sign

cda

Sawhorse 123
say on a remodel,

business only requires one exit and one exit only is provided.

business decides to put an exit sign over the door.

1. does it need to be illuminated?

2. if they put an exit sign up that can be lit, but no wiring is ran to it, do you require it to be wired and illuminated?

I'd make it function if they installed it (illuminated). IBC 1011 gives exceptions to not installing one, but once it is installed I would make it comply with all other areas of 1011.

cda said:

2. if they put an exit sign up that can be lit, but no wiring is ran to it, do you require it to be wired and illuminated?
1. Yes.

2. They could use a photo luminescent sign and not have to worry about wires.

midwestFCO said:
I'd make it function if they installed it (illuminated). IBC 1011 gives exceptions to not installing one, but once it is installed I would make it comply with all other areas of 1011.
Agreed.

mj

It is not like an extra exit or other building component that serves a purpose. Besides being accurate I don't see any requirements.

The exit sign is not required. Adding the sign enhances safety as much as a sign can. To require illumination would further enhance safety, however there is no basis in code to do so.

The owner could legally remove the sign rather than bring illumination and that would, at least in the owner's mind, detract from exiting safety.

How can no sign be better than an unlit sign? Can an unlit sign create confusion?

Last edited by a moderator:
1011.6 Externally illuminated exit signs.

Externally illuminated exit signs shall comply with :Next('./icod_ibc_2012_10_par180.htm')'>Sections 1011.6.1 through :Next('./icod_ibc_2012_10_par182.htm')'>1011.6.3.

1011.6.1 Graphics.

Every exit sign and directional exit sign shall have plainly legible letters not less than 6 inches (152 mm) high with the principal strokes of the letters not less than 3/4 inch (19.1 mm) wide. The word "EXIT” shall have letters having a width not less than 2 inches (51 mm) wide, except the letter "I,” and the minimum spacing between letters shall not be less than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm). Signs larger than the minimum established in this section shall have letter widths, strokes and spacing in proportion to their height.

The word "EXIT” shall be in high contrast with the background and shall be clearly discernible when the means of exit sign illumination is or is not energized. If a chevron directional indicator is provided as part of the exit sign, the construction shall be such that the direction of the chevron directional indicator cannot be readily changed.

1011.6.2 Exit sign illumination.

The face of an exit sign illuminated from an external source shall have an intensity of not less than 5 footcandles (54 lux).

1011.6.3 Power source.

Exit signs shall be illuminated at all times. To ensure continued illumination for a duration of not less than 90 minutes in case of primary power loss, the sign illumination means shall be connected to an emergency power system provided from storage batteries, unit equipment or an on-site generator. The installation of the emergency power system shall be in accordance with :Next('./icod_ibc_2012_27_par001.htm')'>Chapter 27.

Exception: Approved exit sign illumination means that provide continuous illumination independent of external power sources for a duration of not less than 90 minutes, in case of primary power loss, are not required to be connected to an emergency electrical system.

Francis

How do you find all these sections

Oh now I see, need to read the whole book

Last edited by a moderator:
Francis Vineyard said:
The word "EXIT” shall be in high contrast with the background and shall be clearly discernible when the means of exit sign illumination is or is not energized.
So I guess that one can see the sign just fine without light and way much better with light. And the point is ?????

cda said:
say on a remodel,business only requires one exit and one exit only is provided.

business decides to put an exit sign over the door.

no and no. If a guardrail is built on a deck 12" off the ground would the rail have to meet code? I agree with shirley (ICE) on this one.

The train already left the station on this one and I would not stand on the tracks and try and stop it

Strict literal interpretation of the code yes it needs to be illuminated but I am with ICE on this one. I would not give it a second thought or even mention it

pwood said:
no and no. If a guardrail is built on a deck 12" off the ground would the rail have to meet code? I agree with shirley (ICE) on this one.
If a doors not required your saying it can be any height 4', 2"?? If you install, needs to be code compliant.

kilitact said:
If a doors not required your saying it can be any height 4', 2"?? If you install, needs to be code compliant.
No requirement for height......Or width.....at least in my current IRC.....12" wide if you want....makes it hard to move in though....

Sorry jumped off to residential land for a min there.....

I say if you cut a door down for mech access it can be the smallest size allowed for that purpose....Egress is another matter...