• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Expansion Index

While exploring soils reports I ran into this problem.

2009 IRC R403.1.8.1 Expansive soils classification.

Line 4 says, Expansion Index greater than 20, determined in accordance with ASTM D 4829. Which I am reading that over 20 in a (test result) is considered expansive.

When I reference ASTM D 4829 5.3, Significance and use, I find a table that does not quite jive with code reference.

0-20 is classified as very low potential expansion.

21-50 is classified as low potential expansion.

and table continues.

Our structural engineer says that the most important test is the expansion index for foundation design dealing with expansive soils.

When I asked him about this code reference he seem puzzled and confused with this question from me and did not answer. He is 80 years old.

On a similar vein of thought, I am seeing the lack of the expansive index on several soils reports that I am reviewing for repair work on houses build on expansive soils.

Does one have to pay extra to have this test in a soils report?

Can some one straighten me out ?