• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Explosion proof actuator enclosures for hydrogen dispensers?

HVACQuestions

I have louvers that are within 50' of a hydrogen dispenser in a large warehouse. I think their actuators have to be inside explosion proof enclosures if it's within 25' but I can't remember where I read this in the code, it does not seem to be in IMC 2018... does anyone know where else this might be?

What is the purpose of these dispensers and what is the quantity of hydrogen they contain/dispense? You may be into something much deeper than just explosionproof controls for the dampers. The entire area may need to be upgraded to class I div 1 and a detection system may be required.

What is the purpose of these dispensers and what is the quantity of hydrogen they contain/dispense? You may be into something much deeper than just explosionproof controls for the dampers. The entire area may need to be upgraded to class I div 1 and a detection system may be required.
I found it. It's NEC article 500, of all places. And you're correct, it's not just explosion proof actuators etc, it's a hazard class with all sorts of requirements.

I found it. It's NEC article 500, of all places. And you're correct, it's not just explosion proof actuators etc, it's a hazard class with all sorts of requirements.
In a past life I worked at a chemical plant where we had large quantities of hydrogen that were used as a catalyst. Because of how explosive hydrogen is many precautions are required for detection of leaks as well as preventing a hazardous situation if there is one. Many of these items do not come cheaply.