• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Explosion Relief Vents

Given:
An existing F-1 wood working occupancy.
Fully sprinkled building.
Dust collection unit is located outside the building.
Dust collection tubes extend to each piece of equipment inside the building.
Building will have this dust collection unit replaced with a new unit.
No other work is being completed inside the building.
2018 IBC and 2018 IMC
I am the AHJ.

Question:
The mechanical engineer is asking if explosion relief vents need to be installed per 2018 IMC 511.1.5.
That section of the mechanical code includes "... installed per IBC requirements". But I find nothing in the IBC related to explosion relief vents.

This is the first time I have had this question.

As always, thanks in advance.

ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner

I will make a judgement call as the AHJ and not require the explosion relief vents. Because IFC section 2204.1 gives me the authority to require any number of explosion control methods. But it does not make it clear that the Explosion Relief Vents are required. Especially for an existing woodworking facility that is changing out a piece of equipment.

Given:
An existing F-1 wood working occupancy.
Fully sprinkled building.
Dust collection unit is located outside the building.
Dust collection tubes extend to each piece of equipment inside the building.
Building will have this dust collection unit replaced with a new unit.
No other work is being completed inside the building.
2018 IBC and 2018 IMC
I am the AHJ.

Question:
The mechanical engineer is asking if explosion relief vents need to be installed per 2018 IMC 511.1.5.
That section of the mechanical code includes "... installed per IBC requirements". But I find nothing in the IBC related to explosion relief vents.

This is the first time I have had this question.

As always, thanks in advance.

ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner
Nothing in the IEBC for repair or Level 1 requires any changes to the system in question of all of the work is outside and a component is being replaced.