• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exposed Glu-lam Beam

T-Bird

When a glu-lam beam is exposed without a roof or an eave covering is metal flashing an acceptable method of providing protection?

glu-laminated timber is different from LVL

Glued-laminated timbers can be used in wet regions but they need to comply with special fabrication requirements.

Reference IRC R317.1.5 and IBC Sections 2304.12.2.4 and 2304.12.2.3

The concern has to do with moisture/rain accumulating on top of the wood which penetrates to the interior of the member through the small cracks that are natural in wood. The member then rots out from the interior. This is an issue where there is no difference between residential or non residential occupancies. There is little difference between sawn and glued-laminated members.

On one building I inspected I observed mushrooms growing on top of an exposed glued-laminated member.

When lumber is treated the penetration of the treatment is limited to 1 to 1.5 inches which means that the interior of the member is untreated and will rot out from the interior if moisture gets in from cracks on top of the member. Theoretically you could overcome this by treating each lamination before laminating the member but this is not commercially available for several reasons.

The laminating industry recommends that members not protected from an overhang has metal flashing installed on the top of the member. The engineer designing the glued-laminated member should have access to these recommendations. This flashing is installed with a gap between the wood member and the flashing thus providing for venting of moisture on top of the member.

R317.1.5 Exposed glued-laminated timbers. The portions
of glued-laminated timbers that form the structural
supports of a building or other structure and are exposed to
weather and not properly protected by a roof, eave or similar
covering
shall be pressure treated with preservative, or
be manufactured from naturally durable or preservativetreated
wood.

I agree with steveray.......I'm sure the manufacturer has specs that are code compliant, start there!

No it was a failure in how it was constructed 10 years earlier and about 75 people dancing on the deck. I just provided the photo to show how they will rot from the top down and inside first
1607966546733.png
1607966577399.png