• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior Accessible Means of Egrees

RJMCGUIRE

In order to provide an Accessible Means of Egress; I am providing an exterior stair that is 1.58' above grade thus providing 3 risers at 6.32" ea; spacing between handrails is 48".

My main question is how to determine when areas of refuge are required. Per 1007.3, ...shall either incorporate an area of refuge within an enlarged floor level landing or shall be accessed from either an area of refuge or an horizontal exit.

The landing I am creating is large enough to have an 30"x48" clear floor space; but am I to also provide Two-way communication in compliance with 1007.6.3?

I haven't found a section in the 09 IBC that states where and when area of refuges are required besides 1007.3; but even that section is confusing.

Thanks

RM

This building requires two means of egress. one is provided that exits onto a public way; i.e. the customer parking and main entry of the building; and is accessible

The second means of egress is 1.58' above grade; and per 1007.1 "where more than one means of egress are required.....the space shall be served by not less than two accessible means of egress.

I then made the exterior landing from the exterior door 6' deep x 10' wide; and then provided a stair complying with 1007.3.

The landing and stair, as the second means of egress, exit onto a service delivery area that then leads through a gate to the public way; i.e. r.o.w.

The service delivery area is paved and I would think would comply with 1026.4 and the exit discharge locations as per 1027.3 is a lot more than 10' from adjacent lot lines.

I am hoping to avoid providing an area of refuge at this exterior landing; the clear floor space is provided; but wanting to make sure that an area of refuge isn't required and thus having to meet all requirements of an area of refuge; i.e. two-way communication.

Thank you,

RM

A stair is not an accessible means of egress, you need to reread the definition of accessible

So yes you may need a area of refuge very difficult to use a wheelchair on a stair

A ramp is a accessible exit

Mark.

Read 1007.3.

Stairways. In order to be considered part of an accessible means of egress, an exit access stairway as permitted by 1016.1 or exit stairway shall have a clear width of 48" minimum between handrails and shall either incorporate an area of refuge within an enlarged floor level landing or shall be accessed from either an area of refuge complying with Section 1007.6 or a horizontal exit.

RJMCGUIRE said:
This building requires two means of egress. one is provided that exits onto a public way; i.e. the customer parking and main entry of the building; and is accessibleThe second means of egress is 1.58' above grade; and per 1007.1 "where more than one means of egress are required.....the space shall be served by not less than two accessible means of egress.

I then made the exterior landing from the exterior door 6' deep x 10' wide; and then provided a stair complying with 1007.3.

The landing and stair, as the second means of egress, exit onto a service delivery area that then leads through a gate to the public way; i.e. r.o.w.

The service delivery area is paved and I would think would comply with 1026.4 and the exit discharge locations as per 1027.3 is a lot more than 10' from adjacent lot lines.

I am hoping to avoid providing an area of refuge at this exterior landing; the clear floor space is provided; but wanting to make sure that an area of refuge isn't required and thus having to meet all requirements of an area of refuge; i.e. two-way communication.

Thank you,

RM
It appears to comply, the loading area is continuious to the public way. So I do not see a needt to gather for rescue assistance.

Is this new construction or an existing building for which you're looking at providing this? If it's existing, accessible means of egress are not required. If it's new, then I think if you meet the provisions of Section 1026 for exterior stairs and make the stairs wide enough per 1007.3, you're ok. The way I'm reading it is that the exterior stairs would have to be open. Nothing would have to be protected as far as the exterior wall or any openings if the building is less than 2 stories in height, the level of exit discharge is the first story above the grade plane and it is not serving an R-1 or R-2 occupancy. There are other exceptions that would allow for the openings to not be protected, but this one is the most generic.

thanks Gregg and codegeek.

this is an existing building that is undergoing upgrades to make restrooms and general access accessible; i.e. the main public entry.

I thought too that accessible means of egress might not be required; but we decided to provide at least a stair complying with 1007.3 but wanted to avoid the requirement of the a.o.r. and thus the two way communication. I think we'll submit as we have it without the communication features.

thank you,

RM

From your Original Post I will assume this is an exterior stair and if that is the correct assumption then you would look at

1007.7 Exterior area for assisted rescue not 1007.3

1007.8 would govern two way communication for exterior areas for assited rescue. In your example none would be required.

As for the comments that the existing building does not require the second accessible means of egress. I agree, and if you desire it to comply with code then follow 1007.7 otherwise it is just a second exit and not an accessible means of egress

thanks. I was referencing 1007.3 as the stair being ok instead of a ramp; but then had to work through the a.o.r. requirement of 1007.3. but thanks for helping me reread 1007.7.

the first sentence of 1007.7 states that the exterior area for assisted rescue must meet the requirements of 1007.6. and the way I take 1007.6 an area of refuge isn't required at this exterior stair regardless if it is an accessible means of egress or not....?

2009 IBC

The exterior area for assisted rescue must be open to the outside air and meet the requirements of Section 1007.6.1

1007.6.1 is the size requirement only. Nothing else in 1007.6 applies

The exterior area of refuge must go to the public way - minimum of 10 feet from the building with a 30 X 48 wheelchair space with two way communications - The sell of this is to have the architect sell the item as a smoker gazebo or picnic area. The owner looks like a champ for providing an area for the employees, the architect provides a code complaint set of drawings, and the utilization of this are beenfits everybody...