• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior and interior Exits Discharge

Mostafa Magdy

Z1wZkmm

I'm working on 4 stories hotel with 3 exits discharge serving the 4 stories and one exit discharge serves one story the exits discharge for 4 stories are 3 stairs, one of those discharge directly to the exterior of the hotel while the others discharge inside the building, also the stair that serves one story is directly discharging outside can I consider that 50/50 discharge or since the stair (That serve one story) doesn't serve the whole stories it can't be included.
I'm wondering if the stair which has been marked with yellow can be considered as directly discharged to the exterior since it is too close to outside.

Welcome back

Unless you are a forum supporting member “ Sawhorse” you cannot direct post.

Other way make the image a link and post the link.

You should be able to copy and paste code.

Without a link to the code you are using or other code we have,, hard to give you an answer

https://imgur.com/1H7yH4x
The Hotel located in Saudi Arabia and we are using SBC(Saudi Building Code) and it's exactly like IBC.
I'm wondering if the stair which has been clouded with red can be considered as directly discharged to the exterior since it is too close to outside.

Typically each floor requires 2 exits, Floors 2 - 4 can discharge to the first floor and in the old days fire escapes would have been allowed.
You haven't mentioned if there is an elevator or if the building is sprinklered?
Are the stairs enclosed?

Typically each floor requires 2 exits, Floors 2 - 4 can discharge to the first floor and in the old days fire escapes would have been allowed.
You haven't mentioned if there is an elevator or if the building is sprinkled?
Are the stairs enclosed?
Yes the whole building is protected throughout an automatic sprinkle system and we have a fire elevator also and yes the stairs are enclosed and protected by 2 hours fire rating enclosure

1023.3 Termination

Interior exit stairways and ramps shall terminate at an exit discharge or a public way.

Exception: A combination of interior exit stairways, interior exit ramps and exit passageways, constructed in accordance with Sections 1023.2, 1023.3.1 and 1024, respectively, and forming a continuous protected enclosure, shall be permitted to extend an interior exit stairway or ramp to the exit discharge or a public way.

This may meet one floor open to another:::

"""""""one exit discharge serves one story""""""

https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/threads/open-exit-stair.27680/#post-210922