• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior CMU wall insulation

arch_06

As part of a single-story office building renovation in MA, the contractor is proposing to use 8" CMU exterior wall for a portion of he building. The CMU will not be insulated. I was thinking of Z channels inside with insul. (R18 fiberglass?) and interior gypsum board. Do you think this assembly complies with the MA energy code? Or where can I find the info? I don't have any experience with the ComCheck software.

is the construction of the exterior cmu wall going to reinforced and grouted ? if not, you might take a look at insulating the cells of the cmu's first, then strapping the walls with z channel and foam board covered with drywall. just a thought/option. i am not at all familiar with MAss energy code

No familiar with MA codes, either. I wouldn't like batt insulation against CMU unless it's waterproofed on the exterior... foam plastics are better - closed cell spray foam is the best for water hold out.

Comm Check is great! (so is Rescheck), but it shouldn't be your job to do the modeling (which is what this is.. the RDP needs to do it for you).

It looks like MA has adopted the 2009 IECC. I'd check with the local BO just to make sure.

% % % %

peach,

In just looking at the screeen name, " arch_06 " might just be

the RDP.....No disrespect, ...just sayin' !

north star said:
% % % %peach,

In just looking at the screeen name, " arch_06 " might just be

the RDP.....No disrespect, ...just sayin' !

Yes - I'm the rdp who hasn't done a commercial building in quite a while... I found some acceptable details for MA and the ComCheck software seems pretty user friendly. Thanks for the help.

arch_06 said:
As part of a single-story office building renovation in MA, the contractor is proposing to use 8" CMU exterior wall for a portion of he building. The CMU will not be insulated. I was thinking of Z channels inside with insul. (R18 fiberglass?) and interior gypsum board. Do you think this assembly complies with the MA energy code? Or where can I find the info? I don't have any experience with the ComCheck software.
I can't help on the code side but I can tell you what methods we use here in VA

Foam the cmu cells that aren't grouted. We like to add 1.5" Z channel with ridgid foam. I think this takes you up to somwhere around r-14. when it's not worth while foaming cells (too much grouted cells) We install vaporbarrier on the inside cmu, 3 5/8 mtl stud, unfaced fiberglass batts with rock.