• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

exterior fire rated frame and door??

Scott_R

Bronze Member
Hello,

I am doing a remodel/rehab of a 1917 building.

Details:

3 story plus basement.

12,500 total sf

Original construction: steel frame exterior masonry bearing wall. All brick exterior.Original Clay tile fire protection at steel.

We are updating to 2012 IBC and major code updates include, ADA conformance & adding sprinklers as per NFPA 13 throughout.

The entry door to the building is now part of a fire egress stairway, separated from the rest of the spaces in a lobby/vestibule.

The door faces another building on campus at 18' from face of building to face of adjacent structure.

The exterior walls are considered 1-hour exterior bearing walls in VA construction, and the door in question falls between 10 and 30 feet which requires the frame/door to be rated to as per table 602.

Q: If the corner of our building to adjacent building is 18' - but the exterior egress door faces an open space, do I need to rate this exterior door and frame?

Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks!

Scott

The fire separation distance is usually measured perpendicular to the building.....if they are both on the same lot, an imaginary lot line needs to plotted and you can take measurements to that....

Steveray,Got that part - thanks.Building #1 is 100' long and only 20' of the bldg footprint is within 18' of bldg #2. My question is does only the 20' portion of the bldg #1 apply or does the whole 100' need to be rated (which would include the egress/entry door) as per table 602 and table 716.5

View attachment 1084

?View attachment 1084

/monthly_2014_08/572953d37b1bf_extwall.jpg.151a22a5c37d22dc526939d15c0289a4.jpg

Scott_R said:
cda, I'm sorry what does ........ ......... mean?
I wrote the wrong thing and had nothing to add and cannot delete the reply

Sorry