• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior locking devices after hours

cheyer

Looking for opinions on the balance of egress vs. security for retail establishments.

I haven't found anything that would prevent store managers/owners from installing additional locking devices (keyed deadbolts, padlocks,etc.) on the EXTERIOR of the front or back doors for security purposes after hours.

If someone has information to the contrary please let me know. I appreciate tapping into the wealth of knowledge on this board, and as I gain further experience, I will contribute my 2 cents as well....

Thanks.

If is is part of a means of egress (required or not) it is not allowed. Example the code only "required" 2 exits but 4 have been provided then all 4 have to comply with 1008.1.8

Good point, mtlogcabin... I'm so accustomed to using the phrase "Required Means of Egress" that it sort of slipped out! Applies to all egress doors, not just the required ones.

Gotcha.

So I understand correctly.....and believe me I totally agree with this thought process...there should NOT be any other locking devices on ANY EXTERIOR doors that would cause anyone on the interior to have to do more than one operation for unlatching the lock, regardless of after hours or not? (IFC 1008.1.8.5)

Thanks

when the firefighter/ police officer goes in the front door the building is occupied, so doors have to meet code

Locks, Latches and Bolts

Some locking means are permitted on the interior in accordance with:

1008.1.9.3 Locks and latches. Approved locks and latches shall be permitted to prevent operation of doors where any of the following exists:

1. Places of detention or restraint.

2. In buildings in occupancy Group A having an occupant load of 300 or less, Groups B, F, M and S, and in places of religious worship, the main exterior door or doors are permitted to be equipped with key-operated locking devices from the egress side provided:

2.1. The locking device is readily distinguishable as locked;

2.2. A readily visible durable sign is posted on the egress side on or adjacent to the door stating: THIS DOOR TO REMAIN UNLOCKED WHEN BUILDING IS OCCUPIED. The sign shall be in letters 1 inch (25 mm) high on a contrasting background; and

2.3. The use of the key-operated locking device is revocable by the building official for due cause.

3. Where egress doors are used in pairs, approved automatic flush bolts shall be permitted to be used, provided that the door leaf having the automatic flush bolts has no doorknob or surface-mounted hardware.

4. Doors from individual dwelling or sleeping units of Group R occupancies having an occupant load of 10 or less are permitted to be equipped with a night latch, dead bolt or security chain, provided such devices are openable from the inside without the use of a key or tool.5. Fire doors after the minimum elevated temperature has disabled the unlatching mechanism in accordance with listed fire door test procedures.