• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior one hour assembly

Kim M.

Any suggestion for a one hour assembly, exterior rated wall needs to be rated for exposure on both sides, 2x6 wood studs, with sheathing used for shear, min r20 insulation and multiple sidings including thin cut stone, hardcoat stucco and James Hardie firber cement siding?

U305, add gyp over the ply sheathing.
Thanks. Any idea where to find a detail that shows u305 with full 5.5 insulation? All I've seen have 3 1/2" or 5 1/2" compressed to r13 which is not flying with the plan checker.

Your plan checker needs to learn more. Click on the link and you will find an assembly that will work. JFYI all wall assemblies are tested as a 4 inch wall. Read the general explanatory notes starting on page 18. There you will learn that you can increase stud size, add insulation to fill the stud spacing without negatively impacting the fire rating. You can reduce the stud spacing however you will reduce the STC rating. I prefer the GA-600 manual since it does have some non-proprietary system which in todays world of shortages it would be nice to be able to be able to use what is available in your area.

Thanks. Any idea where to find a detail that shows u305 with full 5.5 insulation? All I've seen have 3 1/2" or 5 1/2" compressed to r13 which is not flying with the plan checker.
See mtlogcabin's post. Insulation is optional in the U305 assy. You can add whatever batt insul you want per the general notes and 2x4 is the minimum stud size.

I like U305 because it has practically every gyp board you would ever use listed.

Always refer to the actual UL assy, not a manufacturer's version of the assy. The manufacturers only show you their products in the assembly. The actual UL assy will show you all the possible options.

https://iq.ulprospector.com/en/profile?e=14888

See mtlogcabin's post. Insulation is optional in the U305 assy. You can add whatever batt insul you want per the general notes and 2x4 is the minimum stud size.

I like U305 because it has practically every gyp board you would ever use listed.

Always refer to the actual UL assy, not a manufacturer's version of the assy. The manufacturers only show you their products in the assembly. The actual UL assy will show you all the possible options.

https://iq.ulprospector.com/en/profile?e=14888
This link was very helpful, and I see the info as far as the 2x4 being a minimum and the insulation being able to be added. I run into a roadblock with the exterior finishes. When I look at BXUV.GuideInfo - Fire-resistance Ratings - ANSI/UL 263, I'm not finding any options to add to add exterior materials, (see below). I need the wall to have a moisture barrier, then thin cut stone, hardcoat stucco and some fiber cement lap siding. How do I address this using u 305? Or is there another design I should consider?

10. Exterior Walls
The fire-resistive designs and UL-certified materials for walls and partitions are investigated to UL 263, which addresses fire-resistive requirements only with the understanding that their use is intended for interior applications. Where an exterior application of a UL-certified wall or partition design is desired, the local building code and Authority Having Jurisdiction should be consulted to ensure compliance with other code requirements applicable to exterior walls.