• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior Spiral Staircase MOE for Dwelling Unit

Can an exterior spiral staircase qualify as an exclusive MOE for a dwelling unit?

• Total voters

Walter R

I'm interested to create a second means of egress (MOE) for a second floor dwelling unit by adding an exterior spiral staircase off the deck to grade. The code allows use of spirals within the dwelling unit, and allows the dwelling unit to include accessory spaces intended for the exclusive use of occupants. The spiral would exclusively serve the dwelling unit, but the local code officials don't approve because they don't consider it within the unit. Any thoughts? I don't see any meaningful difference.

R311.1 Means of egress.
All dwellings shall be provided with a means of egress as provided in this section. The means of egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from all portions of the dwelling to the exterior of the dwelling at the required egress door without requiring travel through a garage.

R311.4 Vertical egress.
Egress from habitable levels including habitable attics and basements not provided with an egress door in accordance with Section R311.2 shall be by a ramp in accordance with Section R311.8 or a stairway in accordance with Section R311.7.

No where does the code require a second MOE nor does it require a spiral stair to be within the dwelling unit. You are required to provide an interior stair as the MOE. The second floor deck required egress is back through the house, your proposed exterior spiral is a convenience stair to and from the deck.

The code is permissive unless a section makes it prohibited. Hence it would not be prohibited to use the spiral stairs or any other alternatives such as ladders, fire escapes or even a fireman's pole that's not a component of the means of egress when constructed in accordance to the code or standard as applicable.

MT, not sure if this is IRC, posted in "commercial".....First question is which code? Secondly, is it required? Then I would have to look at the spiral stair stuff, but I would buy it if the OP accurately represented the code section with "accessory" spaces..IRC, absolutely, IBC, I would have to take a closer look...

Under the IBC the apartment would have to exceed 4,000 sq ft and be sprinkled or 2,000 sq ft and not be sprinkled. I do not see them that large in my area

Exceptions:

1. In Group R-2 and R-3 occupancies, one means of egress is permitted within and from individual dwelling units with a maximum occupant load of 20 where the dwelling unit is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2.

OP refers to a 'second floor dwelling unit' AND placed post in Commercial page.
Reasonable person would believe this to be either multiple dwelling or mixed use building.
Spiral stairs generally not considered acceptable for 'required' MOE.
So is it a 'required' MOE or not?