• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior Stair Adjacent to Exhaust

Francis Vineyard

Include IMC as applicable . . .

2009 I-codes, 1 story 5B construction, restaurant (under 50 occupant load) fire separation distance > 10 ft. with occupiable roof.

Two Type 1 exhaust terminations direct up and away at the side of an exterior wall; what violation if any for a wood exterior stair from the roof located between the two exhaust equipment?

Is it a fire hazard per IMC 506.3.12.2 with the exhaust directed parallel to stairs 5 ft. away?

Francis

Francis Vineyard said:
Include IMC as applicable . . .2009 I-codes, 1 story 5B construction, restaurant (under 50 occupant load) fire separation distance > 10 ft. with occupiable roof.

Two Type 1 exhaust terminations direct up and away at the side of an exterior wall; what violation if any for a wood exterior stair from the roof located between the two exhaust equipment?

Is it a fire hazard per IMC 506.3.12.2 with the exhaust directed parallel to stairs 5 ft. away?

Francis
Francis, I would think if the grease laden air can blow across and settle on the risers it would also be a "slip' hazard.

Share the same conerns; is directed away the opposite or not towards?

What if they constructed walls to protect the stair from grease?

Are there any other code sections that I might be overlooking?

Thanks,

Francis

do you think these stairs would be in daily use???

there is the smell section in IMC, would have to find it

506.3.12.2 2009

and it is at least ten feet abovegrade??

cda said:
do you think these stairs would be in daily use???there is the smell section in IMC, would have to find it
Yes; because they can't go through the building and need two MOE from the roof.

It's an outdoor dining area above the kitchen!

Francis

Francis Vineyard said:
Yes; because they can't go through the building and need two MOE from the roof.It's an outdoor dining area above the kitchen!

Francis
Do they have good food? I could drive down and check for ADA compliance while I am there.

Gregg Harris said:
Do they have good food? I could drive down and check for ADA compliance while I am there.
Sports bar; aggregate area less than 3,000 sf exception; even though it's an existing roof/building the stairs would be the only new construction and not have the effect of reducing accessibility.

Thanks for asking.

Francis