• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior Stairs

larcher89

I'm working on a project that has the following situtation and I'm not sure where to start to determine if there are code requirements that must be met:

Existing exterior stairs located in a public park, 7" rise by 3' tread by 5'6" wide, fifty treads between top and bottom, no landings & no handrails associated with the stairs. Stairs connect a parking lot to a walking track below, no building involved in the project area. A second parking area can be configured at the level of the walking track to provide an accessible route between the accessible parking area and the track.

If we provide ADA compliant parking and accessible route to track by creating a new parking area as decribed above:

Can the treads be repaired, without having to modify the overall run of the steps to include landings and handrails? Steps require concrete repair as nosings of many of the treads have spalled and concrete has eroded. If not please direct me to appropriate code sections that must be met.

If we decide to replace steps in-kind, in lieu of repairing them, would they be required to have landings and handrails?

Thank you in advance!

At what point do you have stairs or do you have 50 landings abutting each other. If the depth is 36 inches deep, then I would have trouble calling it a step. I am not aware of any definition that states a maximum tread depth, only a minimum. 1009.4 (2006) states a landing needs to be equal in depth to the width of the stairway, so not sure how that would get interpreted. Let's see how others apply this.

repair them and call it good. The stairs/ landings are not a means of egress from a building to a public way. I'd call it a bunch of landings and a landscape feature from your description.