• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior Steps width that would not require a handrail

CVEG AR

If a design is going down a hillside adjacent to a building at 9.7% over 75 feet. Steps with 5' separation, 8' long with a 6" drop are designed. Does it require a handrail? Thank you for the help.

So it could be called a series of single steps with landings?

Technically, handrails are not required per Exception #2 of IBC 1011.11. Ethically, put them in and avoid the lawsuit because even if you win the court case, the handrails will still be cheaper than the attorney fees.

1011.11 Handrails
Stairways shall have handrails on each side and shall comply with Section 1014. Where glass is used to provide the handrail, the handrail shall comply with Section 2407.
Exceptions:

1. Stairways within dwelling units and spiral stairways are permitted to have a handrail on one side only.
  2. Decks, patios and walkways that have a single change in elevation where the landing depth on each side of the change of elevation is greater than what is required for a landing do not require handrails.
  3. In Group R-3 occupancies, a change in elevation consisting of a single riser at an entrance or egress door does not require handrails.
  4. Changes in room elevations of three or fewer risers within dwelling units and sleeping units in Group R- 2 and R-3 do not require handrails.

Put a hand rail on one side. Old geezers like something to hold on to, even if it’s psychological.

He noted, "Steps with 5' separation." IMHO, I think the 8' is implied to mean the width.
Im not ready to agree with you ... but I went back and read more carefully, tried to do a hand sketch .... can’t figure out the 5 and 8 numbers.

Im not ready to agree with you ... but I went back and read more carefully, tried to do a hand sketch .... can’t figure out the 5 and 8 numbers.
Stairs are 8-ft wide, risers are 6-in tall, and riser/steps are spaced 5-ft (i.e. 5-ft landings).

Reactions: ICE
The 6” rise is clear, and the 5 ft between steps seems obvious. So the only thing left is the width ... probably. But until we hear back from the one-hit wonder ...