• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior Windows Section R612.2/613.2 (2009/2006 IRC)

ajweaver

Bronze Member
On the old ICC board, I received some good feedback about strongbacks last year,

so I thought I would try over here since it appears thats where everyone went.

Window openings greater than 72" above grade.

My understanding of the intent is so a midget cant fall out the window :)

Code section gives specific requirements, ione being "finished floor"

In this area, many builders construct built in bench seats about 12-16" from floor, then 12-16" from bench is the window opening.

As the code reads, I am only able to measure from fininshed floor.

My arguement is the 12-16" to bench seat can be accessed by smaller person as easy as window opening, thus it becomes a floor area?

What is your opinion/what do you enforce?

Thanks

Aaron Weaver

One might read this the same way as the the hight required for a deck guard with the same assumption that a "bench" is a walking surface.

I understand your direction of thinking/concern, but I don't think you could call the bench a finished floor without a compliant stair to that floor level.

Aaron,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, when they pulled the old BB out from under us; many of us were able to stay together by coming here.

The requirement you are refering to was not in the 2000 or 2003 IRC; and was added in 2006. I agree with the others; since it is a window seat and the bottom of the window is 24" above the floor surface; there is no code requirement that would apply.

Hope to see more of your posts here,

Uncle Bob