• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior Wood sheathing / furring in Type 2-B Const

mpd-architect

This pertains to a siding renovation project to an existing type 2B building / A4 Use group. FSD is well over 30 feet so no exterior wall ratings required. Applicable Codes are 2015 IBC & 2015 IEBC. The existing building (1977 const) is partially sided with wood 1 x 8 t&g siding over gypsum sheathing over 2 x 4 furring 24" OC over the exterior masonry bearing wall. The original siding and substrate are damaged and need full replacement. We are proposing a Pac-Clad metal siding to replace the original wood siding and would like to install over FRTW 1/2" plywood substrate over the existing 2 x 4 furring. Is this allowed or are we required to use non-combustible such as gyp sheathing? We prefer the plywood due to the more solid backing it will provide.

This pertains to a siding renovation project to an existing type 2B building / A4 Use group. FSD is well over 30 feet so no exterior wall ratings required. Applicable Codes are 2015 IBC & 2015 IEBC. The existing building (1977 const) is partially sided with wood 1 x 8 t&g siding over gypsum sheathing over 2 x 4 furring 24" OC over the exterior masonry bearing wall. The original siding and substrate are damaged and need full replacement. We are proposing a Pac-Clad metal siding to replace the original wood siding and would like to install over FRTW 1/2" plywood substrate over the existing 2 x 4 furring. Is this allowed or are we required to use non-combustible such as gyp sheathing? We prefer the plywood due to the more solid backing it will provide.
are all the existing exterior walls masonry bearing walls? If so I am not sure you have IIB construction, sounds more like type III

are all the existing exterior walls masonry bearing walls? If so I am not sure you have IIB construction, sounds more like type III
Yes all exterior walls are masonry bearing walls w/ steel bar joist roof structure. I did speak with an ICC technical staff member and they seem to say that fire retardant treated wood (FRTW) is allowed in 2B buildings under the specific circumstances as noted in Section 603....which includes non-rated & non-bearing exterior walls. Thank you for your input.

IBC 1404.5 & 1405.1.1 allow wood veneers on exterior walls of buildings of Types I, II, III and IV up to 40 ft. in height. 603.1.13 refers to chapter 24.