• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

extra fire rated swing doors required at elevators in rated corridors???

syarn

Silver Member
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
stayed in an indianapolis, indiana marriott courtyard inn over the holiday during the annual in-law visit;

it was a 3 story hotel probably close to 70,000 sf total and looked to be IIB; conc plank floors/ceilings;

at all floors - in addition to the typical sliding elevator cab door there was another fire rated swing door flush at the framed opening into the elevator that was held open about 180 degrees by a what looked like a mag type hold open...which probably released if the fire alarm system was activated...so in essence you had two sets of doors at each floor for the elevator - an outer corridor swing door and the inner elevator cab door.

is this the typical way to fire rate the elevator door opening or can the cab door be the opening protective?

what IBC 2006 code section is this?

Sounds like it may have been built a few years back

Saw that set up maybe 10 yrs ago along with the roll down film

3002.1.1 ibc 2003.

3002.1.1 ibc 2009 and exception may be the answer you are looking for

Not an elevator person do

If it connected a rated corridor, it probably served as the smoke portion of the rating. Although elevator doors are typically fire rated, they don't meet the smoke and draft requirements for a corridor. I've seen this quite a few times under the UBC. They were done as an alternate to an elevator lobby.

(2006) 715.4.3.1. Elevator doors are not smoke rated. The "flop" door over the elevator door opening meets the smoke requirement. 1007 requires actual lobbies when four or more stories above the level of exit discharge. Hotels and apartments are typically the only occupancies impacted since others do not need rated corridors when sprinklered.

Looks like I may have over designed an elevator shaft a few years ago under 2003 IBC in a 3 story, B occupancy. If I'm following correctly, an elevator shaft in B occupancy (office building) does not require smoke protection unless it opens into a rated corridor? IBC makes it fairly easy to have unrated corridors in sprinklered buildings.

Using 2009 code:

Shaft enclosure openings Section 708.7 requires construction per Section 715 for Fire Barriers. I don't see anything in 715 that requires smoke control for a Fire Barrier. I'm a little surprised and this is exactly why I follow this forum. I've found no better way to learn the code than to discuss issues with others. Thanks Coug Dad for your clarity on syarn's question.

Not required in Hospitals!
I see them in Hospitals. The reason given is to maintain the integrety of the smoke compartments. No one can point to a section and paragraph, but the "logic" is that the code goes through great pains to create a horizontal smoke barrier for defend in place, so the vertical openings should be just as well protected.

The alternate to the "flop" door (I like that, gonna use it) is the smoke curtain http://www.smokeguard.com/.

Got smokeguard roll down barriers in my building. They were never required someone thought "that looks good" and installed them. Now we just have a maintenance nightmare. Goes on the list with Won Doors.