• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Extra toilet rooms do not need to be accessible.

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
I have some contractors that claim in other jobs where they had more than the required toilet rooms (I know code goes by plumbing fixtures) that the extra tiolet rooms did not need to be accessible. Even the BCO of my township believes this. I'm not talking about the exception of where single use toilet rooms are clustered it a single location.
Does anyone know about this?

I do not know where they are getting their information, but it is definitely not from the code.

IBC Section 1110.2: "Each toilet room and bathing room shall be accessible."​

It does not get much more straightforward than that.

The only exception applies to dwelling and sleeping units.

It's at basis of ADA: non-discrimination. No different than extra toilet rooms being labeled "whites only".

Rick18071, you did not say what kind of project it is.

For example, public housing dwelling units, ADAS 809.4 requires "at least one bathroom shall comply with 603".
That means that in a dwelling unit that has 2 bathrooms with the same kind of fixtures, only one of them needs to have accessible fixtures (although every room also needs an accessible route through it).

In commercial spaces, yes, ADAS 213.2 generally defaults to requiring all restrooms to be accessible, but there are exceptions for existing facilities:

1674264046541.png

Lastly, for ADDITIONS to existing buildings, the restroom requirements for the additions are only for those restrooms actually serving the addition, and 202.4 is not (in and of itself) triggering improvements to other restrooms.

1674264266806.png

There is this gimmie now....:

3. Where multiple single-user toilet rooms or bathing
rooms are clustered at a single location, at least 50
percent but not less than one room for each use at
each cluster shall be accessible.

I have some contractors that claim in other jobs where they had more than the required toilet rooms (I know code goes by plumbing fixtures) that the extra tiolet rooms did not need to be accessible. Even the BCO of my township believes this. I'm not talking about the exception of where single use toilet rooms are clustered it a single location.
Does anyone know about this?
Building Code 2018 of Pennsylvania
Capturedscd.PNG

So if you have a Men's toilet room next to a Women's toilet room (clustered) and only one is required (less than 15 occupants) which one does not need to be accessible?

You can no longer have "mens" and "womans"single users....

[P] 2902.1.2 Single-user toilet and bathing room
fixtures. The plumbing fixtures located in single-user
toilet and bathing rooms, including family or assisted-use
toilet and bathing rooms that are required by Section
1110.2.1, shall contribute toward the total number of
required plumbing fixtures for a building or tenant space.
Single-user toilet and bathing rooms, and family or
assisted-use toilet rooms and bathing rooms shall be identified
as being available for use by all persons regardless
of their sex.

So if you have a Men's toilet room next to a Women's toilet room (clustered) and only one is required (less than 15 occupants) which one does not need to be accessible?
Carl Sagan, in his work The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark said: "There are naïve questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question".

Unless you are being sarcastic, I beg to differ.

Rick18071, California also has that single-user-must-be-unisex code.
So yes, we’ve designed and had approved small office facilities that have 2 unisex single user restrooms, and only one of them is accessible.

I’ve returned to see how it’s worked out. Despite the unisex signage, within the office culture the women have unofficially claimed for their exclusive use the non-accessible restroom (because it has more vanity cabinet space for their personal hygiene stuff), and have made it abundantly clear to all the men not to go in there and mess it up!