• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

F.A.C.E. off

wow, again am so glad that I don't have to deal with CE issues or CE officers under my supervision.

Spoken like someone who's never tried to sell a house with junk cars or 2' tall grass next door (neither of which are life safety issues).

Maintaining property values is a benefit to the community as a whole. That isn't to suggest it can't be taken too far, but to ignore it altogether is a disservice.

Actually pg, those are serious potential causes for physical harm. The junk cars can leak hazardous fluids into the ground and are breeding grounds for insects and vermin. The tall grass can harbor noxious weeds and plants, as well as harbor disease carrying insects, venomous snakes and aggressive animals. Not to mention, most lawn grasses wither and die at that height posing a fire hazard in dry weather.

A well crafted local law for enforcement should require names and addresses from all complainants. The identifying information is withholdable under FOIA, but helps 'weed out' invalid complaints.

Of course, establishing an appropriate level of property maintenance with due regard for your neighbors is the only reasonable solution. It is only legislated because some folks don't want to be civil. I'm a firm believer in civility, but if your goat comes in my yard and eats my flowers, I'll be having goat stew and sending a pot over to your house.

Actually pg, those are serious potential causes for physical harm.
Maybe developers should be giving a discount for all those lots that back to a "greenbelt" then. :D

I know what you're saying, and I know there are cases where those things may prove to be true, but the majority of these cases are more about aesthetics than they are about life safety (just my experience). I don't have a problem with that. When it comes to PMC enforcement, the "Don't Tread on Me" crowd rarely seems to realize the extent to which they're treading on everyone else in the neighborhood.

Architect1281 said:
I'm actually simpathetic towards people exposed to unnecessary regulation. when it goes beyondlife safety and gets into life style we have gone too far
I'll mostly side with you on this. There does need to be a balance somewhere and all too often it "newcomers" that move in next to person that's been there for decades. Then the fights start and cell phone calls ring and ring wanting AHJ's to regulate. Heck I say move into those HOA's if you want to be that picky.

Let's not forget that Code Enforcement is entirely controllable by the voting citizens. Many many times, I have found the loudest detractors are very simply, those whose preferences have been "voted down".

Well have been on many an ordinance writing panel I always took the approach that Law must use the "Reasonable Man Approach" as opposed to the lets legislate the idiots out of society approach.

Laws should be based on what would the reasonable man do when it comes to specificity. and not what would the worst of us attempt. when laws are based on the unreasonable man all society suffers

I do CE as part of my job description and I can tell you it is not fun. I have no citation power so it's letters only. We did make an example of one of the chronic offenders 4 years ago and it made the paper. Enforcement has been easier since then.

As to code, I use the City's code for nuisance abatement. It's amazing the amount of junk that accumulates in a person's front yard......; )

I do CE also and let me tell you in the 5 years I have been here this year is the worst with all the foreclosed homes,homes abandoned it is a total nightmare. I have even thought of looking for a job elsewhere the politics in CE is the worst. I guess I should be glad at least it keeps me busy just a lousy way to make a living.

Before getting on in Building Inspection, I applied once for a CE position (which at the time was under BI), didn't even get an interview, been with the City about 5 years at the time, lateral move in the pay.. Was ****ed. Called out the supervisor on it it, had known him for years, "Why didn't I even get an interview?" Reply: "Same pay range, but I'm hiring at the low end, want to take a pay cut? Me: NOPE

I've always said for the last 13 years, that was the nicest thing someone has never done for me. I would have HATED that job. I just wanted to get into Inspections, didn't realize the difference at the time..........eeeeek!

fatboy said:
Before getting on in Building Inspection, I applied once for a CE position (which at the time was under BI), didn't even get an interview, been with the City about 5 years at the time, lateral move in the pay.. Was ****ed. Called out the supervisor on it it, had known him for years, "Why didn't I even get an interview?" Reply: "Same pay range, but I'm hiring at the low end, want to take a pay cut? Me: NOPEI've always said for the last 13 years, that was the nicest thing someone has never done for me. I would have HATED that job. I just wanted to get into Inspections, didn't realize the difference at the time..........eeeeek!
fatboy i have the same saying in my office as you do at the bottom of your post , luv it . code enforcement is all about how you treat people , its also nothing more than a common sense job . i was told 28 years ago to remember 2 things in this job , if you cant retire on it dont take it & you have the power of the pen dont abuse it. i have ce guys here & 1 of em told a resident who had a tv & a couch in his garage that they had to remove it because its not a habital space . SERIOUSLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate abusive and over-aggressive CE and BI too. Both should be well reasoned and determined by experienced people. The sad thing is we wouldn't have to worry about a lot of this stuff if people would just be reasonable, responsible, stop being lazy and think about how their actions (or in-actions) may affect those around them. Until then (if ever) we'll need CE, BI, and a cop on every corner. I think that by and large most CE and BI is reasonable but the few bad examples get all the attention. As for groups like this one, where will one of those folks stand when a hog farm opens next door, or a land-fill, or a firing range?