• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

FAMILY OR ASSITED USE TOILET AND BATHING ROOMS

Woodrow

SAWHORSE
I am reviewing a plan for a Awful House remodel. The major portion of the remodel is the bathrooms. They propose one bathroom accessible and one not, both unisex. They are leaning on the IBC 1109.2.1 portion of the code. I can go along with that, just trying to figure out if both of those rooms have to be accessible? If they are separate sex they would both have to be accessible. Any thoughts?

Do you mean "Waffle House"?

Section 1109.2.1 (2018 IBC) does not apply unless the total number of required water closets for both males and females is 6 or more. If using IEBC Section 305.8.10, which directs you to IBC Section 1109.2.1, you are allowed to construct a new family or assisted-use toilet room instead of altering the existing toilet rooms. The family or assisted-use toilet room is in addition to the unmodified restrooms.

IBC Section 2902.2.1 allows two family or assisted-use toilet facilities instead of separate facilities when only one fixture is required for each sex. Thus, this would send the reader back to Section 1109.2.1 (although not explicitly stated) for the family or assisted-use toilet room requirements. Thus, both rooms would need to comply and not just one.

I cannot see where the renovation of just one existing toilet room to comply with requirements is justified per the IBC.

However, you may be able to get a code modification using the 2010 ADA Standards as justification by referencing Section 213.2, Exception 4. This section only requires 50% of multiple single-user toilet rooms to be accessible. There is no equivalent requirement in the IBC (I am not sure about the upcoming 2024 edition).