• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fastening Requirements for Sole Plates and Sheathing/Siding

Robert Ellenberg

BRONZE MEMBER
I've looked and can't find this but I'm sure some of you know where it is.

First of all, what is the required fastening for sole plates to whatever they are sitting on (sheathing, rim joists, ends of joists, etc.). I expected to find it in Table R602.3(1),FASTENER SCHEDULE FOR STRUCTURAL MEMBERS, but I can't find it there or elsewhere.

While looking for it, I was reading through R602.10.3 Braced wall panel construction methods. I was looking to see if there was a requirement for the structural panels described in section 3 or hardboard siding listed under section 8, to extend past and be fastened to the sole plate (like diagonal bracing is required in section 1) but I couldn't find any such requirement.

Do you know if it is required or can it stop above? I have a unique situation with a 4' parapet wall carrying some roof load and the siding is designed to come down on the top 3' only.

It's where you looked..or is this not what you are looking for?

Sole plate to joist or blocking, face nail 16d (31/2″ × 0.135″) 16″ o.c.

Mule, I saw that but couldn't believe that 1 nail every 16" was sufficient when braced wall panels require so many fasteners. It would seem to me to be the weak point.

Peach--There are two inteior bearing walls and the roof between them steps up higher than the roof on each side. So I am calling it a parapet wall but perhaps that was not a correct description as it is a continuation of a wall below. The two side sections have 8' ceiling and a flat roof between them. In the center, the ceiling steps up 2' (4' includes the height of the ceiling joists and the extending parapet wall on up) and where these 4' walls attach is the attachment I am referencing.