• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fastest draining sink

Re: Fastest draining sink

That is the second time I have seen that "blue glue" on here, what is that stuff? Sterno? All I see is purple primer and solvent cement! And where do you get 3' faucet connectors! Those are awesome! I can start replacing all of the garden hose in my house now! :lol:

Last time I checked 'shall' preceeded 'use purple primer' in the (NYS) Code... Sooooo, did it pass???

John Drobysh said:
Last time I checked 'shall' preceeded 'use purple primer' in the (NYS) Code... Sooooo, did it pass???
steveray: The blue stuff is "Pool-Tite" usually. I've used it myself on slip fittings. There's something very different about it; sets fast and doesn't seem to leak on those tricky joints.

john: I was going to let it slide on the primer, the exceeding 1 pipe diameter and the questionable shutoff valve access. But when there was no strainer in the sink I had to fail it.

Your kiddin, another glue approved by the code without purple primer, get out of here!

How do you know it's allowed, did they leave the can so you can research the ASTM number?

Smurf glue is used in this area!

IPC2003 705.14.2

That Blue Smurf glue is messy, jobs here look about the same as the photo. ooooh

Love the additional wooden support for the trap. :roll: Sure you're not in my jurisdiction?

Sue

steveray said:
That is the second time I have seen that "blue glue" on here, what is that stuff? Sterno? All I see is purple primer and solvent cement! And where do you get 3' faucet connectors! Those are awesome! I can start replacing all of the garden hose in my house now! :lol:
I think we only allow purple primer. I was just at a pre-construction meeting and our plumbing inspector notified the plumber that he is well aware of several tricks out there which included using solder guns and heat glue guns for fixing cracked pipe. He will not allow this for some reason.

Primer required, regardless of the color of the glue. Well, unless the color of the glue doesn't compliment the color of the primer. Then you can use all-purpose cleaner.

All kidding aside, yes, primer is required, even with blue. But the blue is better for some situations. Even Oatey has a blue. Purple primer with blue cement == fast plumbing inspection!

The blue glue is designed for pools and other applications where you can't shut the water off. It is a quick set up and water proof product. It saved my butt several times with my last house because the pool return line would freeze and bust in the winter. Without this glue I would have to drain a whole lot of water to eliminate the gravity feed on that line.

Great product but not for household plumbing.

Daddy-0- said:
Great product but not for household plumbing.
Specification sheet for Pool-Tite states it meets ASTM 2564, which is the required standard per Table 3002.1 (2003).

I wouldn't personally use it for a whole house, but there is nothing preventing somebody from doing it. With purple primer and blue cement, it's hard to forget a joint!