• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

favorite subject flex heads

cda

Sawhorse 123
So educate me on this minimum bend stuff as found on page 5 is a minimum bend required???

http://www.flexhead.com/pdf/submittalpackage.pdf

http://www.flexhead.com/pdf/Commercial- ... -Guide.pdf

so is there a maximum bend ???

"""Q: Do putting additional bends in the product greatly affect my friction loss calculations?

A: No. The published friction loss data is a worst case head loss calculation. Each hose was tested with the maximum amount of bends physically possible bent to the minimum bend radius top create a worst case head loss calculation. """"

Re: favorite subject flex heads

any flex head experts out there?????????????

It's kind of misleading....the bend can't be tighter than a 3" radius. I have a cool little tool from FlexHead that measures the radius. I think UL 2443 requires the radius to not be less than 3".

hay I just got one too, great to make my sushi in, but any way

WHY do they say MINIMUM and not MAXIMUM, or am I just not computing something?????

I see what you mean....when they say minimum, they are trying to say that the radius cannot be minimized (made smaller) to a radius less than 3". They should just say "The radius cannot be smaller (or tighter?) than 3" and it would make more sense.......

Ok I will wrtite the violation as per Beach

I found victaulic also sells one, and will call them in the morning to see what their version is, because they have the same language, but prettier pictures.

see page 10.85:::

http://www.victaulic.com/docs/lit/10.85.pdf

ok ok ok my boss who makes one more dollar than me, but has working brain cells explained it like this

when you look at a radius in a fire lane you have a minimum radius it can be, so say the minimum is 20, as lon g as you hit 20 or above you are good.

Than the light bulb came on a little dim, but got the idea. so if there is any bend in the flex as long as it is three inches or greater it is good to go.

will approach it that way, and sign my bosses name to the inspection

The flexible hose with fitting is only intended to be installed with bends
So if you happen to find one perfectly straight with no bends you will have to write it up :p

Will your boss like that one :)

Thanks beach will put the angus paperwork example in my file along with the counseling letter my boss gave me for being stupid.

I keep telling him you cannot fix stupid!!!!!!!!!

cda: Hope that helped. I always print the ones I like. Never seem to be able to find my way back to them on the net. Had that one in the file.