• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

FBC 2010(similar to IBC 2010)

toehead93

I have an existing 2-story building that originally had one tenant upstairs and one downstairs with one stairway. The stairs were open to the second floor and the ground level landing was closed from the adjacent ground floor tenant. Now one tenant occupies the building and we applied for a permit to connect the two stories at the stair landing. The building department agreed per FBC 1022.1 the exception was met for less than 10 occupants and less than 75' travel distance to allow one unenclosed stair.

We are at final inspection and the fire inspector is indicating it does not comply with FBC 1022.1 and when I pointed out the exception he came back with NFP 101 39.3.1.1. Lookiging at NFPA it appears to a HUGE discrepancy between the FBC/IBC, NFPA only has exceptions for sprinklered buildings. Most frustrating thing is we new this was an issue and cleared with the building department before we even received the permit. What is your take on this situation?

No two codes that do not agree!!!

So up front does the fire dept also review the plans???

If so why was it not mentioned?

Has the city adopted 101??

If so in what capacity?? New const and remodel?? Or for inspection of existing places only??

I think my first stop would be with the actual building official and say what up??

You can not be the first conflict