• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Federal judge strikes down Tennessee's transgender bathroom sign law

Throughout history, older members of the population have tried to keep things the same (studies indicate that they are more conservative and more fearful of change), where the younger members of the population are more open and accepting of change. Are we just noticing this more because the media is reporting it?
True enough. It is starkly evident in the last twenty years. AI, self driving cars, laser eye surgery, cloning, and a whole lot more... social media with the constant barrage of interruption. The loss of trustworthy mainstream media and the explosion of conspiracy theories. Just the internet was a game changer. What we experience in this generation is, "Strap in ... it's a bumpy ride from here."

And then, for lack of a better word, the evil sneaks in.... or as msjenkin called it, a mind virus.

Even as the transgender debate wears on, a new gender has erupted on the scene. That gender is neither male nor female. There is a lot to wonder about how to deal with those...if that's the correct pronoun.

Shortly before I left the County an email from HR told us all that as part of our signature we could choose pronouns. It is a line added below your name that says:
Pronouns: (with the following choices) he, him, his -/- she, her, hers -/- they, them. I'm expecting a that.

There's been a time or two when I couldn't tell from just the name...and there's been a time or two when meeting them left me just as confused.

So accepting change is a challenge. Change is everywhere....in how we work, recreate, heal and interact. Is it odd that mental illness has changed as well?

Last edited:
Shortly before I left the County an email from HR told us all that as part of our signature we could choose pronouns. It is a line added below your name that says:
Pronouns: (with the following choices) he, him, his -/- she, her, hers -/- they, them.
Last year I saw a post about how the California Architect’s Board does not allow you to use the title of "Architect" unless you are licensed by the board. In the comments section was this response:

A2230F80-1970-483E-B676-1B215FA1FAB6.jpeg

Last edited:
Last year I saw a post about how the California Architect’s Board does not allow you to use the title of "Architect" unless you are licensed by the board. In the comments section was this response:

View attachment 8992
If that "person" uses the term to obtain or do work, they can be banned from ever getting their license and they can be fined and jailed.....

True enough. It is starkly evident in the last twenty years. AI, self driving cars, laser eye surgery, cloning, and a whole lot more... social media with the constant barrage of interruption. The loss of trustworthy mainstream media and the explosion of conspiracy theories. Just the internet was a game changer. What we experience in this generation is, "Strap in ... it's a bumpy ride from here."

And then, for lack of a better word, the evil sneaks in.... or as msjenkin called it, a mind virus.

Even as the transgender debate wears on, a new gender has erupted on the scene. That gender is neither male nor female. There is a lot to wonder about how to deal with those...if that's the correct pronoun.

Pronouns: (with the following choices) he, him, his -/- she, her, hers -/- they, them. I'm expecting a that.

There's been a time or two when I couldn't tell from just the name...and there's been a time or two when meeting them left me just as confused.

So accepting change is a challenge. Change is everywhere....in how we work, recreate, heal and interact. Is it odd that mental illness has changed as well?
Similarly, when I first heard of gender heard individuals, I had a hard time wrapping my head around it. Not that I need to understand something to respect someone's choice, but I just didn't understand. Then I met someone who used the they/them pronouns and it made sense to me. Looking at them, I would not be able to guess at male or female with any greater certainty than flipping a coin.

Looking at them, I would not be able to guess at male or female with any greater certainty than flipping a coin.
Which is what makes the signage and much of the discussion silly. Someone who looks and dresses like the majority using that restroom is not going to be noticed unless they display their genitalia.

Which is what makes the signage and much of the discussion silly. Someone who looks and dresses like the majority using that restroom is not going to be noticed unless they display their genitalia.
Whenever I come across these discussions, I envision someone standing at the door to the washroom like a bouncer at a nightclub. Checking birth certificates for gender. Then I think "wait, are other people using the washroom different than me? What are people doing in there where they would even notice?"

But then again, I live in Canada where women apparently feel safe enough to walk into the men's washroom and announce that unless they hear an objection they are using this washroom because either the line for the women's washroom is too long or the woman's washroom is dirty and needs cleaned. I have yet to hear anyone object.

Then I met someone who used the they/them pronouns and it made sense to me.
My wife teaches at a school where the majority of students are from Asian countries and have English as a second language. You can imagine how confusing it is for them, having just recently learned the formal rules of English, to then find out from the school administration that pronoun choice completely on a case-by-case basis, and to get it wrong is a violation the institution's core values of DEI.

A law that requires a warning sign for women's bathrooms makes more sense than allowing men to use a woman's bathroom. The ACLU argument that such a sign "sows fear and misunderstanding of the transgender community" is ridiculous. The concept of transgenderism engenders fear and misunderstanding, let alone sharing a bathroom.

I know more than one man that would instantly become a danger to the transgender community if his wife or daughter came running out of a bathroom screaming, "There's a man in there." Oh, and a sign would not make a difference.
It's abundantly clear that the folks who are pushing for various laws clearly have no understanding of plumbing. Human plumbing, I mean.
A trans woman (ie: a male who identifies as female due to gender disphoria, etc), who doesn't want to "out" herself by going into a male washroom, is going to go pee in a women's washroom. Women's washrooms all have stalls, which offer privacy, so everyone is going to go pee in a stall.
A trans man (female who identified as male) is physically incapable of using a urinal, so will go pee in a stall, which offers privacy.

It's just that damned simple.