• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fill material for annular space around penetrations in rated walls.

Do you typically require - or find - the red-colored fire caulk around penetrations in rated walls?

This is one of those questions that I have been afraid to ask because I think the answer should be fairly obvious.

After reading Chapter 7, I would conclude that the general intent is to use some type of non-combustible material such as concrete, grout, mortar or mineral wool to prevent flame, hot gas and other products of combustion to pass through rated walls where there are pipes and cables penetrating the walls. I am surprised that the fire caulk tubes are relatively inexpensive and I have been surprised that contractors will apply this where it is NOT needed and then miss another location where it would be expected.

I am uncertain what rated wall conditions require the fire caulking and what other conditions (least restrictive) can be treated with readily available materials such as plaster.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

It is per the listing of the sealing product.

Fire caulks require a certain amount of gap between the pipe and the opening so that it will be affective. It is not merely sealing the hole around the penetration.

There must be enough material (intumessant) to be able to expand enough to fill the opening, say, if it was a plastic pipe if it should completely melt.

Some penetrations consisting of plastic need intumessant "collars" that have a band of expanding material that will work for penetrations of pipe sizes typically larger than 2". It depends on the material used.

Thanks but it sounds like you have seen the same presentation that I have. The "How to install fire caulk and pillows" presented by the folks that sell these products. Are you saying that you require this for all penetrations within a rated wall?

My question is:

Is fire caulk, pillows, or steel collars required for ALL penetrations in a rated wall?

Yes/No/Few exceptions

No

Fire caulk can not be installed around fire dampers and some brands are not compatible with some of the plastic fire sprinkler piping (blazemaster) products.

No, they are not required for ALL penetrations.

The penetration SHOULD be sealed with a listed system that is installed per the listing. All material manufactures will have them. They are on the website and the salesman will have them. If they are not being used to install the fire stop system then it is probably not installed per the listing. The listing will describe the requirements for the hole size, penetration material, sleeves (if required), stuffing, and minimum (and sometimes maximum) required caulk.

Baypiont, I was just covering plastic pipe penetrations.

Mtlogcabin is correct about the dampers. The caulk will expand and cause the dampers to not be able to operate correctly.

And yes, all penetrations in a rated wall require sealing in an approved manner in order to maintain the rating. But no, you do not do it the same way with all penetrations.

There is a system for all typical penetrations, and the system used needs to meet the listing of the product with regards to the material that is penetrating the wall (such as the Blazemaster piping) plastic pipe, steel pipe, steel ducts, wires, cables, bundled or otherwise.

There are no exceptions for sealing penetrations in rated walls.

Glennman,

I understand that there are no exceptions for sealing penetrations in rated walls. Would you say that the material, or device, or dirty-old-sock for making tight seal needs to be tested and approved and manufactured for this specific purpose?

Would you say that plaster is NEVER a substitute for sealing a penetration in a rated wall?

Sorry I have so much trouble with the wording of my question. "Fill material..."

Yes, I have seen the demonstration of the fire caulk around the fire damper. That was really fascinating.

No a dirty old sock won't work :D

2006 IBC 712.3.1 exception #1 & 2

Exception: Where the penetrating items are steel, ferrous or copper pipes, tubes or conduits, the annular space between the penetrating item and the fire-resistance-rated wall is permitted to be protected as follows:

1. In concrete or masonry walls where the penetrating item is a maximum 6-inch (152 mm) nominal diameter and the area of the opening through the wall does not exceed 144 square inches (0.0929 m2), concrete, grout or mortar is permitted where it is installed the full thickness of the wall or the thickness required to maintain the fire-resistance rating; or

2. The material used to fill the annular space shall prevent the passage of flame and hot gases sufficient to ignite cotton waste when subjected to ASTM E 119 time-temperature fire conditions under a minimum positive pressure differential of 0.01 inch (2.49 Pa) of water at the location of the penetration for the time period equivalent to the fire-resistance rating of the construction penetrated.

Are you wanting info for gypsum walls only?

If it's a rated assembly we require an UL listing for that assembly and also the UL penetration requirements for that assembly.

So I have built 100 square feet of non-bearing steel stud wall with 5/8" Type "X" gypsum board on each side. My furnace has reached 2,000 degrees in just one hour. My steel pipe penetration is sealed tightly with a dirty old sock.

Oops, it just failed the hose stream test.

One item to think about... how does plaster or drywall mud allow thermal expansion of a pipe or conduit? answer. it doesn't... After a few days, months, or years, the drywall mud/plaster will become brittle and drop out. Sorry, not allowed here in our jurisidiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
bldginsp - that's the type of answer I was looking for.

Builder Bob - that's a practical reason for using a flexible product that I had forgotten about.

Thanks everyone!