• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Final Inspections

[RB] DWELLING UNIT. A single unit providing complete independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation.

If you want to have just a sink, shower and toilet, you have met the definition of a dwelling. No kitchen is required much less cabinets. Flooring is not addressed in code except for volatile organic compounds.

The entire building could be a shell. The code states that a dwelling unit includes permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation. All of those things but by who's definition of those things. I pretty much live in my garage. I can sleep in a hammock. I eat here, there and everywhere. If I have a receptacle, I am cooking. I'm big on sanitation so I have to clean four bathrooms.

Last edited:
ICE you need a maid
french-maid-costume-15819.jpg

Why bother with cabinets, the trend is to put shelves up and let everybody see your junk, it's called staging.

Don't you watch HGTV?
Well one mans trash is another mans treasure but I wont be putting either on display any where .

[RB] DWELLING UNIT. A single unit providing complete independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation.

If you want to have just a sink, shower and toilet, you have met the definition of a dwelling. No kitchen is required much less cabinets. Flooring is not addressed in code except for volatile organic compounds.

The entire building could be a shell. The code states that a dwelling unit includes permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation. All of those things but by who's definition of those things. I pretty much live in my garage. I can sleep in a hammock. I eat here, there and everywhere. If I have a receptacle, I am cooking. I'm big on sanitation so I have to clean four bathrooms.

Thanks , enjoyed the video , the next one up called electrical 101 is out dated now though , it states they are showing a bed room rough in wiring because it has to be on a separate arc fault circuit , Most every circuit on a house has to be arc fault now , there can be other spacers that require arc fault on the same breaker

Install cheap cabinets less than a grand
Get your CofO
If inspector says I have to I will ,other wise it will be a sink base with minimal cabinets , remember I will be living in the basement 2 years . It will have bed room , full bath , game room with pool table , laundry room , counter top with frig and microwave , and bar sink .

If inspector says I have to I will ,other wise it will be a sink base with minimal cabinets , remember I will be living in the basement 2 years . It will have bed room , full bath , game room with pool table , laundry room , counter top with frig and microwave , and bar sink .

Are you required a kitchen??

Call that area media room with sink??

Sometimes you have to get creative

Are you required a kitchen??

Call that area media room with sink??

Sometimes you have to get creative
I dont know if the inspector will count the bar sink the same as a kitchen sink . He might , . I dont use a stove very much but I dont think the IRC requires it but If I need a stove or oven the motor home will be right outside near the garage door.