• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Alarm Control Panels

globe trekker

Greetings to you all!

We are using the 2003 edition of the ICC/ANSI A117.1 Standard! I am reviewing

Section 702 = Alarms for guidance. I have a "new" FACP installed in an Accessible

Route, in a "new" tenant space.

QUESTION # 1: Is a Fire Alarm Control Panel (FACP) required to be installed in

the Reach Ranges of Accessibility (15"-48", A.F.F.)?

QUESTION # 2: If required, suppose it was not installed in the Reach Ranges,

..what now for compliance?

Thanks ya`ll! :)

Never thought about it???

I do know some handicap inspectors mainly code handicapped

2010 ADASAD

Advisory 205.1 General. Controls covered by 205.1 include, but are not limited to, light switches, circuit breakers, duplexes and other convenience receptacles, environmental and appliance controls, plumbing fixture controls, and security and intercom systems.

Thanks cda & mark h. !

The 2010 ADA SAD & the 2003 ICC/ANSI A117.1 both require this type panel to be

installed within the allowable Reach Ranges!

Here we accept an annunciator panel put at an accessible height and location as meeting this requirement and we come accross this problem often.

Does anyone have any input regarding achieving ADA/Accessibility compliance after the FACP

is installed, outside of the Reach Ranges? :eek:

globe trekker said:
Does anyone have any input regarding achieving ADA/Accessibility compliance after the FACP is installed, outside of the Reach Ranges? :eek: .
Ramp and platform....

Thanks mark h. for the input!

In my particular application, a ramp & platform would impede on the min. Corridor

width.

QUESTION # 3: Would installing a plaque onto the exterior side of the FACP access door,

..stating something to the effect of "restricting the access to the FACP by authorized &

qualified persons ONLY", ..be compliant (i.e. - protection from litigation)?

FWIW, the FACP IS lockable!

The lock on the FACP panel is a typical locking mechanism, that would require a key be

inserted in to the lock and turned. Tight pinching & grasping.. I would not think that

"tighness" would be an issue. Loosely grasping & pinching, ..yes, probably!

My questions are the same type of application that was discussed in "north star'"

topic back in February of this year.

This link: http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/accessibility/10777-reach-ranges-again.html

So, would a plaque restricting access to the FACP provide compliance & protection from

litigation (see Post # 10 above).

Last edited by a moderator:
There has to be many similar key applications such as used on a facp

Such as keyed dead bolt on a front door

The panels have been like that and are required in most cases to be lockable.

And if you have ever seen one with an "enable key" that thing is so small it is ridiculous!

And if you want to get going look at some of the reset systems on manual pull stations !!!

So there must be an exception!!!

Should it be accessible, yes.

Is there any likelihood of a lawsuit, no.

Are the Feds going to make you move it, no.

If it is not readily moveable, Tell the installer to uninstall it at the correct height nextime, and move on.

You don't want a bunch of spliced wires in the Fire alarm system

mark handler said:
Should it be accessible, yes. Is there any likelihood of a lawsuit, no.

Are the Feds going to make you move it, no.

If it is not readily moveable, Tell the installer to uninstall it at the correct height nextime, and move on

You don't want a bunch of spliced wires in the Fire alarm system
So if a brand new fire alarm panel box was installed,,, what do you think the maximum height it should be???

Then you still have the key issue

mark handler said:
Controls at 48" AFF
Unless it was by accident I do not think I have seen a main fire alarm panel installed at that height

So would this also apply to circuit breaker panels ????

cda said:
Unless it was by accident I do not think I have seen a main fire alarm panel installed at that heightSo would this also apply to circuit breaker panels ????
YES.....also applys to circuit breaker panel

ADASAD Advisory 205.1 General. Controls covered by 205.1 include, but are not limited to, light switches, circuit breakers,duplexes and other convenience receptacles, environmental and appliance controls, plumbing fixture controls, and security and intercom systems.

So the top most breaker can be max 48??

If so seen a lot of breakers higher then that

Thanks to you all for your input!

I may have an Exception to apply! From the 2006 IBC, Section 1109.13 =

Controls, operating mechanisms and hardware:

Controls, operating mechanisms and hardware intended for operation by the occupant,

including switches that control lighting and ventilation and electrical convenience

outlets, in accessible spaces, along accessible routes or as parts of accessible elements

shall be accessible.

Exceptions:

1. Operable parts that are intended for use only by service or maintenance personnel

shall not be required to be accessible.

Your thoughts.. Also, wouldn't this cover the Reach Range requirements for the

electrical panels mentioned by "north star"?

Also thought in the past Ada differed to napa 72 and seems 72 does not say anything about height for facp like it does for pull stations