• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Alarm requirement thresholds

cheyer

Happy Holidays

I'd like to get a feel from other AHJ's on when you require a F/A install in an existing building undergoing T.I. work.

What is your trigger for installation? At what point would you consider the T.I. work to be "new" construction, therefore requiring the F/A installation as in a new building.

Does anybody use a formula for F/A installation on existing buildings that is similar to sprinklers for existing building's ( more than 50% of the square footage, or more than 50% of the value, etc.)

Thanks.

Re: Fire Alarm requirement thresholds

1. change of ocuupancy type

2. 50 % value of building

3. Local admendment if building is empty over six months

4. If building has an existing system and remodel space is not up to code will require a/v's and other related items everytime a remodel is done.

Re: Fire Alarm requirement thresholds

I believe if one is using IBC and IFC one is bound by 907 and 907.3 respectively (unless amended). If the work being done increases the parameters or thresholds of IBC 907.2 for the various occupancy types there could be an argument for the “new” option but then you’re stuck with IBC Chapter 34 and your back to IFC 907.3. unless there is a change in occupancy where one can apply IBC 907 (as applicable) or IBC 3410 is used. (if I understand IBC to IFC correctly).

Our fire code uses 1/101 and we have “whichever...... blah, blah” language in both the building and fire code adoption ordinance and 101 lays it out pretty clear for protection of existing buildings and alterations or additions and when "new" comes into play regarding fire protection.