• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

fire alarm requirements for buildings with additions

Nicole Brooks

I have an existing single story building that is 36,000 sf. We are putting an addition on the building (still single story) which will increase the building to 44,000 sf. The occupancy is Business. If I use NPFA 101, an existing building is allowed a 1000 person occupant load before triggering a need for an alarm system, but a new business use is just 300 occupants. Which of these numbers applies to this scenario, new or existing? I've done the occupant count and it is over 300 people.

I just did a minor reno to a 4,000 sf building and got dinged by the fire marshall because he wanted an additional detector. I can’t imagine you can get by with a 44,000 sf building without a system.

NFPA 101 considers an addition as a category of rehabilitation, which kicks you into Chapter 43. The only way I could see the 1000 person occupant load being considered is if there is a fire-rated separation between the existing building and new addition.

I have an existing single story building that is 36,000 sf. We are putting an addition on the building (still single story) which will increase the building to 44,000 sf. The occupancy is Business. If I use NPFA 101, an existing building is allowed a 1000 person occupant load before triggering a need for an alarm system, but a new business use is just 300 occupants. Which of these numbers applies to this scenario, new or existing? I've done the occupant count and it is over 300 people.

So is NFPA 101 the adopted code for the city???

Does the existing building have a fire alarm system?

Does the existing building have a fire sprinkler system?

So is NFPA 101 the adopted code for the city???

Does the existing building have a fire alarm system?

Does the existing building have a fire sprinkler system?
Yes, NFPA 101 is adopted. Building does not have fire alarm, but is fully sprinklered.

Sounds like a question for the local ahj

1000 vs 300

I think my call would be no fire alarm needed.

Have not looked at 101 yet, will try today

So the fire sprinkler system is not monitored??

Sounds like a question for the local ahj

1000 vs 300

I think my call would be no fire alarm needed.

Have not looked at 101 yet, will try today

So the fire sprinkler system is not monitored??
The sprinkler system is monitored.

I'm guessing that Maryland still uses IBC as their building code and NFPA 101 as their fire safety code. I did some work in Baltimore County several years ago, and they interpreted both codes very strictly.