• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Apparatus Access Road

Kao Chen

2006 IFC, Section 503.2.3

How is a road with "all weather driving capabilites" defined? Is a hard surface, i.e. concrete or asphalt, required?

If a gravel road can be proved to be able to support the imposed loads of the largest fire appartus can this be considered appropriate?

Thanks for you input.

This will be a AHJ call depending on local norms and conditions, in some cases a crushed stone base can be considered acceptable.

A locality with a number of unpaved roads is more likely to accept this than others without them.

Coug Dad said:
Some jurisdictions will accept "grass-crete", a form of grass landscaping with imbedded supports.
This has been accepted in many jurisdictions around here, including ours. It essentially is a grass lawn that can support the fire departments vehicles.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
This has been accepted in many jurisdictions around here, including ours. It essentially is a grass lawn that can support the fire departments vehicles.
FireAccessTest2.jpg

It has to support the weight of the fire fighting equipment which is basically the same as every other large truck on the road. We proposed this question to our public works department a couple of years back and the answer was it has to be built to city standards minus the paving requirement. Yes "grass-crete" was approved as an alternate for emergency vehicles only.

How is a road with "all weather driving capabilites" defined?

support the wieght of the vehicle in snow, sleet or dark of night.

OCFA has great guidelines, I steal them all the time!

Personally, I don't like grasscrete, if there are no signage requirements, there is no way a captain will allow his engineer to drive on grass. If signage is required, they are never maintained or replaced when stolen or faded and your back to not driving on it. JMHO

Personally, I don't like grasscrete, if there are no signage requirements, there is no way a captain will allow his engineer to drive on grass. If signage is required, they are never maintained or replaced when stolen or faded and your back to not driving on it. JMHO
Unless you have a good fire inspector that stays on top of these things. ;)

We require faded signs to be replaced, and we also show these on our preplans so the crews know they exist.

Yea that beach sand tends to blow over and obscure the pavers!!!
Hehehehehe.........actually, after a few years, you can't tell it's grasscrete...it looks like a typical lawn. Our new truck weighs in at 76,000#'s and nobody wants to be the first to sink it to the axles......