• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

fire barrier - bulkhead

rooster

Silver Member
I have a case where a fire barrier needs to become a bulkhead near the roof deck to avoid conflict with a joist. My concern is about the horizontal piece of the bulkhead and whether that construction can remain the same as the vertical fire barrier (2 layers 'x' gwb). It's not really a floor/ceiling assembly since it's at the roof.

I'm just not finding a definitive answer in my research. Is there acode section I'm missing?

Fire barriers and fire partitions are permitted to be both vertical and horizontal. Fire walls can only be vertical without any horizontal offsets.

Coug Dad said:
Fire barriers and fire partitions are permitted to be both vertical and horizontal. Fire walls can only be vertical without any horizontal offsets.
Thanks for response Coug. Do you know where it says that? I'm not really finding anywhere in the code where it says this. I know with fire partitions the corridor ceiling can be of the same construction, but I don't see anything like that with fire barriers.

The code says what must be done. Therefore, because the code does not say that the construction "must be vertical" or "cannot be horizontal" we can conclude that the code permits fire barriers to be extended horizontally.

The challenge may be supporting this horizontal piece in accordance with Section 707.5.1. While fire walls are explicitly prohibited from horizontal offsets in the IBC, it may be tough to achieve the structural stability of Section 706.2 with cantilevered construction.

Construction may not simply be turning the wall assembly on its side. See 708.5 which refers to shaft construction, which are to be constructed per 707 for vertical assemblies, and per 712 for horizontal assemblies.