• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Barrier Termination @ steel column

paulbutts

I have a job under construction with an inspector who won't allow much of anything without a UL listing. Recently, the inspector has requested a UL listing that allows for a fire barrier to terminate at the web of a steel column (with spray-applied fireproofing). This inspector has already "allowed" us to terminate the fire barrier at the bottom of a steel beam as long as fire caulk is used at the termination point. To me, this is the exact same situation, just turned vertically, but I'm apparently missing something. Does anyone know of any UL listing for this, or anything I may be able to provide to appease the inspector? TIA!

IBC 715. Sounds like you need a fire resistive joint but not sure how that will work with the SFRM. I don't know of a joint for that. You may need to encase the column then use a joint, which seems redundant. You probably need to consult with the architect or engineer to find one and whether you need a dynamic joint. Probably should have for the top of wall as well.

IBC 715. Sounds like you need a fire resistive joint but not sure how that will work with the SFRM. I don't know of a joint for that. You may need to encase the column then use a joint, which seems redundant. You probably need to consult with the architect or engineer to find one and whether you need a dynamic joint. Probably should have for the top of wall as well.
Yeah...I'm in the same boat in terms of not being able to find anything. And I'm the architect (for better or worse). Appreciate your input!

Maybe you could leave an inch between the wall and the column fireproofing and submit an expansion joint filler like Emseal Emshield WFR1.

I might side with your inspector. From a liability point of view, the firestop assembly has to be ULC-listed. No listing? Get an engineering judgment from STI/Hilti/3M.
No way I'm accepting a firestop system based on anything else.

I might side with your inspector. From a liability point of view, the firestop assembly has to be ULC-listed. No listing? Get an engineering judgment from STI/Hilti/3M.
No way I'm accepting a firestop system based on anything else.
I get it, from a CYA point of view, but there are UL listings that allow a rated wall to terminate at the underside of a steel beam. I don't understand why this wouldn't be allowed, but in a vertical application. But, your suggestion on the engineering judgment is interesting. Any idea how long that takes?

I get it, from a CYA point of view, but there are UL listings that allow a rated wall to terminate at the underside of a steel beam. I don't understand why this wouldn't be allowed, but in a vertical application. But, your suggestion on the engineering judgment is interesting. Any idea how long that takes?
Fire propagation works differently in a vertical configuration versus a horizontal one. So an assembly that works through a wall isn't necessarily going to cut it going through a ceiling/floor.

No idea how long a EJ takes. When I took fire stop training, the instructors seemed to indicate that such things weren't onerously long for simple applications. Never seen one in practice, so I haven't a baseline to work from.

Fire propagation works differently in a vertical configuration versus a horizontal one. So an assembly that works through a wall isn't necessarily going to cut it going through a ceiling/floor.

No idea how long a EJ takes. When I took fire stop training, the instructors seemed to indicate that such things weren't onerously long for simple applications. Never seen one in practice, so I haven't a baseline to work from.
Great info regarding fire propagation...learned something new today! I appreciate your insight.