• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Blocking at flush baseboard trim

rentastic

Hello - We're working on a modern design 4-unit R-2 building. We'd like to do a flush baseboard trim or 'museum' 3/4" z-mold trim at the base. With these two trim types, we're unable to extend our fire-rated gyp. bd. down to the floor, thus breaking our fire stop. Has anyone dealt with this type of detail before in a fire-rated wall, and if so how did they accomplish the fire-rating? Does a fire-rated z-mold exist? We might have to default to an applied baseboard, but we'd like to do something crisper if possible. Any insight would be great!

Thanks

^Agreed. This is only a problem on the walls common with adjacent units, right? It is not fireblocking, rather a non-continuous fire barrier. The only solution would be to install 2 layers of drywall.

The double layer of drywall in the UL assembly is because it is for a 2-hour wall. You'll need an engineering judgement from the manufacturer to reduce that down to 1-hour using only one layer of gypsum board.

Below is a system from the same manufacturer with 1- and 2-hour assemblies with only a 3/4-inch gap (the one I posted above can go up to 4 inches). If the 3/4-inch gap works (i.e., the trim piece doesn't require more than 3/4 inches between the edge of the gypsum board and the floor), then this system will work:
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/...n=versionless&parent_id=1073995560&sequence=1

After looking at Ron's assembly, that does look like something that might work IF the OP can find a system that works with his construction type....

Hi RLGA -
This is great, I think this will work. Based on the Clark Dietrich intumescent strip channels, I'm also looking into just using intumescent strips taped onto the framing (such as this STI product - https://www.stifirestop.com/products/ssw-intumescent-wrap-strips/). It's Type V-A wood-frame construction. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
This might work, but the building official will likely require a tested assembly. The tape you linked to is for wrapping plastic pipe and not as a fire-resistant joint system for a wall.