• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Damage Investigation/Inspection

Durant

Bronze Member
Ok, I'm probably in the wrong pue but, I haven't done this since my code enforcement days about 12 years ago, and in another state.

Got a request for an Electric Service (was told it might be an accessory building); when I got there I found a home that had burned in 2007 (arson according to the fire report I dug up). Needless to say they don't get service. The building was gutted by fire.

Here is my question; I seem to remember that the building official was to determine the damage and if it exceeded 50% it had to be demolished. Where do I look for the steps taken to investigate, make determination and take action on such a structure? I'm in Oklahoma.

Thanks,

Durant said:
Ok, I'm probably in the wrong pue but, I haven't done this since my code enforcement days about 12 years ago, and in another state.Got a request for an Electric Service (was told it might be an accessory building); when I got there I found a home that had burned in 2007 (arson according to the fire report I dug up). Needless to say they don't get service. The building was gutted by fire.

Here is my question; I seem to remember that the building official was to determine the damage and if it exceeded 50% it had to be demolished. Where do I look for the steps taken to investigate, make determination and take action on such a structure? I'm in Oklahoma.

Thanks,
I haven't heard about the 50% rule but there's a lot that I don't know about. My usual assessment on fires is that you can keep the good stuff and demo that which can't be saved.

The 50% "rule" is pretty much history in the majority of places. To much confusion. 50% of what? Appraised value, taxable value, replacement cost. Who determines that if it is not stated in the code. If someone wants to spend twice the amount to repair it versus tearing it down and starting over what business is that of goverment.

Get a permit for all the repairs, then give them temporary service on a construction pole.

Do you have anything in place that let's the city tear down structures??

Maybe that is what you should look at

Do not see how a city can tell someone what to do, if they are working on rebuilding

local ordinances say anything, property maintenance code, just an "attractive nuisance" ? lots too play with if its in writing

Builder Bob said:
Research the state law..... the 50% rule came from the State Fire Marshal's Rules and Regulations in our state..... (This is 50% of the tax accessor value)
He is right actually. Researching about state law is definitely the right approach.

Durant said:
Here is my question; I seem to remember that the building official was to determine the damage and if it exceeded 50% it had to be demolished.
I always loved this. What training do code officials or fire marshals have to determine the value of damage? We handle codes, not values. I have always argued that in my fire department. Fire fighters always estimate a cost of damage, but many of them have no idea what they are talking about. Is that number based on repair costs, original costs, or current value prior to the fire damage? Depending on who the fire officer at the scene is, the estimated damage can vary from $10,000 to $100,000 for the same fire.

FWIW, I cannot see preventing someone from repairing a building just because it is too damaged. Unless it is a pile of ash on the ground, it can be repaired. It doesn't matter if I think it is a bad idea or a poor financial move. All that matters is if their plan has merit and if it will meet code requirements.

A section of my city ordinance reads:

it shall be ordered to be demolished, provided that the cost of repairs to rectify or remove the conditions constituting the nuisance exceeds 50% of the market value of the building at the time demolition is proposed.
I only use it when I have someone who is dragging their feet and needs a little ***** of ambition.

MikeC said:
... What training do code officials or fire marshals have to determine the value of damage? We handle codes, not values.FWIW, I cannot see preventing someone from repairing a building just because it is too damaged. Unless it is a pile of ash on the ground, it can be repaired. It doesn't matter if I think it is a bad idea or a poor financial move. All that matters is if their plan has merit and if it will meet code requirements.
Those of us who deal with FEMA flooddplains and FIRM properties in our jurisdiction absolutely determine value of damage.

We use the assessed valuation from the taxing body as our baseline, and the FEMA Substantial Damage Estimator - http://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/18692?id=4166