• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

fire damaged 2x4s and 2x6s

lisa sherri

I have a house that was built in the 60s that had a fire which resulted in 3 2x4 wall studs and 3 2x6 rafters that got charcoal. I planned to remove and replace myself, being these are single board replacements will a structural engineer be required in this fire damage.

I have a house that was built in the 60s that had a fire which resulted in 3 2x4 wall studs and 3 2x6 rafters that got charcoal. I planned to remove and replace myself, being these are single board replacements will a structural engineer be required in this fire damage.
Assumption that there is no other weight bearing on the wall with the three studs other than the fire damaged roof rafters, IMO no need for a structural engineer. Assumed that the top plates supporting the roof rafter was also damaged and may need to be replaced depending on the char. We're there any headers or ceiling joist damaged, if so they may need to be replaced or scabbed onto to complete the tie. The fire damaged material if left as is, may need to be treated prior to being covered up. On a hot day you may smell the chared wood if not treated with a sealer type product like Kilz. Here, a permit would be required to make an inspection of the repairs prior to covering.