• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Dampers

rktect 1

Gold Member
I was asked to do some research for this. I really do not know alot about the mechanical code. We have a new restaurant with a type I hood over a range, oven, deep fryer, etc. Is a fire damper required in both a gravity fed and mechancial hood of type I?

I need a code section. Thanks.

Re: Fire Dampers

Start with Section 716 in the `06 IBC

and Section 607 in the `06 IMC.

Don't see where you can have a gravity fed Type 1 hood, since they all require a minimum cfm of exhaust per foot of hood per UL710 listings, smoke capture, fan activation etc.

Fire dampers, never on the exhaust, and only required if the make up air is directly into the hood itself as in a compensating type.

IMC 507, 2006

Fire dampers are not mentioned as a solution for type 1 hood penetrating a rated assembly. See options in section 506.3.10 for shaft enclosures or duct wrap options.

MechinspMi said:
Don't see where you can have a gravity fed Type 1 hood, since they all require a minimum cfm of exhaust per foot of hood per UL710 listings, smoke capture, fan activation etc.Fire dampers, never on the exhaust, and only required if the make up air is directly into the hood itself as in a compensating type.

IMC 507, 2006
Exactly. Never on exhaust and only when the makeup air is coming into the hood and discharging in the exhaust stream. If the makeup air is separated from the exhaust and discharges out the front of the hood for example, no damper would be required, IMO.

Like I said, mechanical is not my thing. The damper in question is for the makeup air, not exhaust.

since they are supposed to be interconnected (when the makeup air is provided by mechanical, not gravity means) to provide makeup air when the exhaust is on (IMC 508); that would kind of indicate no dampers on either.

Does it make alot of sense (lets keep forcing fresh air onto this kitchen grease fire)? not really